• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy New Year!

jo-mel

Strange, the only characters I can see are ???? ?????!

Thank goodness you had the translation :wink:

Happy New Year to all foodies!

We are having friends in tonight for supper and a jam session.

Menu:

Spiced beeg cigars, BBQ duck summer rolls, Spring rolls, deep fried wontons,

shrimp in blk bean garlic sauce hot plate, chicken in BBQ sauce hot plate, gai lan in oyster sauce, beef lo mein, one couple is bringing "killer curry chicken", dessert is deep fried banana/white chocolate/candied ginger wontons with vanilla ice cream, bottles of wine to wash this all down!

Please arrive around 6 pm central time, supper at 7...

Foodies! START YOUR ENGINES! :laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

新年快樂 我的朋友們!

Happy New Year, my friends!

Xin nian kuai le, wo do peng you men!

Do I have it grammatically correct?

DH and I went to our fav Chinese place for dinner last night, and had Shanghai noodles, Twice-cooked pork made with pork belly and chili, and another pork dish of stir/fried small diced pork, diced tofu, and diced garlic sprouts stuffed into a toasted sesame bun. Wonderful! I had remainders for breakfast. Yum!

Obviously I had no hangover or queazy stomach!! Clean living!! LOL!

No queasy stomach? Ach, I had hotpot yesterday, and my stomach is murder. I managed to down two small steamed egg custard buns and some boiled taro chunks(left over). I don't think I even want to look at thinly sliced beef for a while.

新年快樂 我的朋友們!

Happy New Year, my friends!

Xin nian kuai le, wo do peng you men!

Do I have it grammatically correct?

Happy New Year everybody! I wish you an adventurous 2005. Be brave and go try out something that you have never eaten before! I have plenty on my list.

Jo-mel: that's very good. Though one thing to remember... English sentence structure is usually the opposite of the Chinese sentence structure. That's why it's a bit difficult for non-native speakers to learn Chinese. I know it was difficult for me when I first learned English.

So your sentence should be written as:

我的朋友們, 新年快樂! :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

shrimp in blk bean garlic sauce hot plate, chicken in BBQ sauce hot plate,

Dejah: What is a hot plate? Is it a "sizzling" plate? Like an iron plate heated to red hot and you pour food on it?

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Happy, Safe and Healthy New Year 2005 to everyone!

gallery_11814_148_1104635163.jpg

We have been going to NYC Chinatown a lot lately and today I just had to have some shrimp & scallion dumplings and beef cheung fun.

gallery_11814_148_1104634502.jpg

Sue-On, I want to eat at your house!!!

All the best for 2005

Love and peace

Yetty

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Sue-On, I want to eat at your house!!!

Yetty

Well, Yetti, you'll be glad you're not eating at my house today. We had to cancel our dinner party because of a winter blizzard! :sad: It started snowing yesterday and developed into a full scale blizzard by this afternoon.. We've had at least 10" of snow so far. The wind was gusting at 50km/hour. I was glad we were at home. Can't complain compared to diasters elsewhere in the world.

Hubby, kids and I ate the finger food I had prepared... finishing off with a chicken in BBQ sauce "sizzling hot plate" ( yes, hzrt, sizzling cast iron plate). Luckily, I hadn't thawed the shrimp or made the wontons yet.

Will check out the pictures tomorrow and see if there is anything worth uploading.

Winter came in like a lion, perhaps it'll go out like a lamb.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Happy New Year to all of you and especially Jo-Mel!

We cooked for New Year's for a few friends - the menu was supposed to be:

Garlic Pate w/crackers, carrot and celery sticks (from Garlic Garlic Garlic by Linda and Fred Griffith)

Raspberry Cilantro Salsa with Mexican Tortilla Chips (from Heather's spice shop in Cleveland)

Belly Lox, Mini Bagels, Cream Cheese and Red Onion

Thai-Style Turkey Soup

Golden New Year’s Noodle Pillows with Crab Meat

Roasted Duck stuffed with Sauerkraut, with Apple Dressing (from Garlic Garlic Garlic)

Roasted Fresh Chicken

Home made Cranberry Sauce

Bob’s Home made dinner rolls

Jalepeno-Garlic-Cheddar Spoonbread (from Garlic Garlic Garlic)

Cherry Trifle

We wound up with so much food, and having so much fun, that we never made the Noodle Pancakes (and we had to toss the crab meat because, even though it was frozen when I bought it, it had been mishandled and wasn't very good) or thhe Apple Dressing (the cranberry sauce did fine). The duck was so fresh, they still had heads on them - I guess that means we'll be making duck soup next!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

hzrt --

Ah yes! I was thinking like I speak ---- not as I was taught!

And shouldn't it be "zhu ni xin nian kuai le!" --

Also, I DO know it is woDE, not wodo.

------------------------------------------------

Looking at all those menus, I want to invite myself!

And shouldn't it be "zhu ni xin nian kuai le!" --

The word is optional. It is implied.

Also, I DO know it is woDE, not  wodo.

For a minute, I thought you were refering to the practice in New Orleans! LOL

Happy new year everyone!

I started to work at China46 NJ last new year. In there, I met Ms. Jo-mel, Mr. & Mrs. Perlow, Mr. MarkK, and Mr. Tommy, and many of the great members of the Egullet community.

It is really great to know you guys, and do you have any plan for the comming Chinese New Year in Feb?

"All the way to heaven is heaven."

___Said by St. Catherine of Sienna.

Let's enjoy life, now!

Happy new year to everyone too! But all the Chinese kids know when is the real new year(hint... red pocket). :biggrin:

Haha, you've got me on that one. That's why I don't ask for anything during the American holiday season. Means more of the ka-ching when it counts. ;)

Where are those pictures from, Yetty?

Michael, my father really likes this place (Sun Hop Shing) on Mott for nostalgic reasons and

gallery_11814_589_1105375300.jpg

for these beef balls:

gallery_11814_589_1105375317.jpg

OT: Whatever happened to the Hong Kong Cakes lady?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

[...]

OT:  Whatever happened to the Hong Kong Cakes lady?

I hope she just figured enough was enough and retired, rather than that she got sick or died. I miss her and her delicious egg cakes. :sad:

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]

OT:  Whatever happened to the Hong Kong Cakes lady?

I hope she just figured enough was enough and retired, rather than that she got sick or died. I miss her and her delicious egg cakes. :sad:

She's not there? I could swear that there was a line at that spot the last ime I was in NY's CT ----a couple of months ago.

To be clear, this is the corner of Mott and Mosco we're talking about, and she hasn't been there for at least two years or so, I guess. Unless she is there only when I'm not. :raz:

Michael aka "Pan"