• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everclear/Grain Alcohol in Northern NJ

scott123

Dr. Lowell says that you need a Federal Stamp to get 100% grain alcohol. Chemistry supply places sell it. Also, 95% grain alcohol which is available usually has some chemicals in it making it undrinkable. Your best bet is to buy the "drinkable alcohol" in a liquor store.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Don't know about Everclear specifically, but I'd trust Lowell on that info!

Fwiw, I'm becoming a big fan of the Total Wine & Liquor stores--GREAT prices and GREAT selection. I know there is one in West Orange on the back end of Essex Green shopping center (in the strip opposite the Shop Rite), but they have other locations...somewhere.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Don't know about Everclear specifically, but I'd trust Lowell on that info! 

Fwiw, I'm becoming a big fan of the Total Wine & Liquor stores--GREAT prices and GREAT selection.  I know there is one in West Orange on the back end of Essex Green shopping center (in the strip opposite the Shop Rite), but they have other locations...somewhere.

Brand I remember was Graves Ethyl Alcohol. Only saw Everclear on the west coast. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Really? I'm an east coast gal and knew what he was talking about right away...I suspect we had it at one time--just not sure if we still do! :hmmm:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hmm, rest assured Everclear is quite alive and well on the East Coast (at least around here, but then again, this is a college town, any alcohol better well be availible).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I've seen it at Buy Rite in Nutley. I think a pint is around $15? Besides you can go into any liquor store and have them ordfer it for you if they don't have it on the shelves. My buddy use to buy it as a cleaner for his smoking pipes.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Dr. Lowell says that you need a Federal Stamp to get 100% grain alcohol. Chemistry supply places sell it. Also, 95% grain alcohol which is available usually has some chemicals in it making it undrinkable. Your best bet is to buy the "drinkable alcohol"  in a liquor store.

Here in Chicago they only sel the 145% because of some inane law. Anyplace else Everclear and its cousins are 198%. Ten years ago in NJ a 750Ml went for about $18.00 a little high but liveable because of the purity.

Living hard will take its toll...

last time i checked it was available by the 1.75 liter in South Orange at Wine Emporium on Valley Rd...i think for around 30 bucks. i used to make some great punch with that stuff..... :wacko:

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long