• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

52 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

For those of you who have access to Trader Joe's tamales, how to they stack up?  We were planning to make the 125 mile trek to the nearest

store and tamales were high on my list.  That was before all the Covid crap hit the fan.

I bought them once. I think there were 2 or 3 in a pack. I found them boring and the masa did not taste of corn and was too dense. The most surprising I ever had were at a roadside stand between Ensenada and  La Bufadora.. Big steaming pots. Smaller in size than what I see as the norm here. More snack size. The filling was chicken hacked on the bone and olives. They were selling homemade olive oil and the olives were good. (with pits). We spit the bones and pits out on the dirt roadside. There was cold beer in our cooler ;)

heidih

heidih

50 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

For those of you who have access to Trader Joe's tamales, how to they stack up?  We were planning to make the 125 mile trek to the nearest

store and tamales were high on my list.  That was before all the Covid crap hit the fan.

I bought them once. I think there were 2 or 3 in a pack. I found them boring and the masa did not taste of corn.