• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago "Pizza" Recipe

Daniel

In chicago they have this thing they call "pizza".. Its almost like a pastry with sauce and cheese and various meats on it.. Its very good for what it is, however i wouldnt call it pizza.. I have eaten at Gino's East, Lou Manati's, and a couple of others and would really appreciate a crust similar to Lou's..

Thanks.

In chicago they have this thing they call "pizza".. Its almost like a pastry with sauce and cheese and various meats on it..  Its very good for what it is, however i wouldnt call it pizza.. I have eaten at Gino's East, Lou Manati's, and a couple of others and would really appreciate a crust similar to Lou's..

Thanks.

So you're talking fat dough pizza here, not thin crust? You can get both in the Chicago area.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

In chicago they have this thing they call "pizza".. Its almost like a pastry with sauce and cheese and various meats on it..  Its very good for what it is, however i wouldnt call it pizza.. I have eaten at Gino's East, Lou Manati's, and a couple of others and would really appreciate a crust similar to Lou's..

Thanks.

So you're talking fat dough pizza here, not thin crust? You can get both in the Chicago area.

Yes i was just kidding around.. I am looking for the deep dish style pizza dough.. Almost like a pastry.. But i particularly like Lous Malnati's sp?.. I was hoping someone could help get that flakey texture.. I know a big difference is the corn meal.. But there has to be a ton of butter or something else.

Yes i was just kidding around.. I am looking for the deep dish style pizza dough..  Almost like a pastry.. But i particularly like Lous Malnati's sp?.. I was hoping someone could help get that flakey texture.. I know a big difference is the corn meal.. But there has to be a ton of butter or something else.

Reinhart's American Pie has a chicago-style recipe. I think it's more like the Lou Malnati's / Gino's East style. I personally prefer a place up on Ashland (IIRC) called "The Art Of Pizza".l Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

It's only a 9 hour drive. I could be there for a late dinner if I left now... There's a place called Rosati's that has an outpost here in KC that's passable, but it ain't no Art's...

Anyone have the recipe for this.

check here. i think what you want is deep dish - not stuffed...but just in case - both recipes are in there. let us know how it turns out?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Anyone have the recipe for this.

check here. i think what you want is deep dish - not stuffed...but just in case - both recipes are in there. let us know how it turns out?

Thanks again.. Last night i made the chicago deep dish style pizza from the site and it came out just ok.. It obviously wasnt the buttercrust.. But it was kind of flakey and good on its own.. As i look over the site i think the papa del's pizza looks pretty interesting.. I will give that a try.. Maybe substitute the milk for buttermilk?

Here is a recipe for Lou Malnati's Buttercrust Pizza:

Lou Malnati's Buttercrust Pizza

I just have one question. Where is the butter? :blink:

Hmm.. I would say that this is not the buttercrust recipe.. It seems to be the same basic chicago pizza recipe I have been finding everywhere. By definition buttercrust has to have the butters.