• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fragrant Fish

Dani Mc

I pan seared some lovely salmon fillets for a late lunch. Mighty tasty, but the salmon smell is lingering. Is this a sign that the fish was less than fresh, or is it just the nature of salmon? I gave it a sniff when I bought it, and it smelled fine. Whats going on?

Most of the nasty fish smells in the kitchen are sulphur-containing compounds, which seem (in my admittedly less-than-strictly-scientific investigations) to be accentuated by contact with hot fat. I'm beginning to think that the compounds might be significantly fat-soluble.

Cooking less-than-fresh fish will accentuate the less-than-fresh smell, but if it smelled fine when you bought it it's not likely to have been off.

Interestingly (at least to a former egg-head like me), related sulphur compounds are present in Allium species; plants such as chives, onions, shallots and garlic. They tend to cling to hands and make the air smell too.

You should always wash your hands in cold soapy water after handling fish (then hot water). Washing them in hot water straight away seems to make the sulphur compounds stick to your hands in a most unpleasant lingering fashion.

in summary - all fish smells to some extent of fish, expecially if cooked with fat. :)

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

I pan seared some lovely salmon fillets for a late lunch.  Mighty tasty, but the salmon smell is lingering.  Is this a sign that the fish was less than fresh, or is it just the nature of salmon?  I gave it a sniff when I bought it, and it smelled fine.  Whats going on?

I get that too, and it's bad enough that I'm going to stop making salmon, I really am. The fish I get is really fresh, and it's not a "bad fish" smell that I get, but when I get up the next morning after cooking salmon for dinner, my entire apartment has the heavy smell of salmon oil hanging in the air. I too would love it if somebody could explain to us "what's going on?"

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Here's the secret to getting rid of the salmon smell (the smell of any fatty fish will linger ie bluefish)....

Turn the oven to about 350. Place several teaspoons of ground cinnamon on a baking sheet and place into oven. The smell of cinnamon will emmanate from the oven removing all odors!! I keep a supply of cheap cinnamon in the house just for this reason.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Here's the secret to getting rid of the salmon smell (the smell of any fatty fish will linger ie bluefish)....

Turn the oven to about 350.  Place several teaspoons of ground cinnamon on a baking sheet and place into oven.  The smell of cinnamon will emmanate from the oven removing all odors!!  I keep a supply of cheap cinnamon in the house just for this reason.

Does that work for all kinds of odors?? That would be a godsend...

I've only tried it with fish. No reason not try it with other things though.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs