• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Al_Dente

An Ideal Negroni

293 posts in this topic

I could drink something like that!  (Isn't three teaspoons = 15ml =  ½ oz?)

Um, yeah, the name though ...

Yes, I guess that's the conversion for the US teaspoons & oz I used.

Happy for name suggestions before I add it to KC.

Interested to hear what you think if you try it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Happy for name suggestions before I add it to KC.

The Count's Handshake?

1 person likes this

If you have an account on KC, you can pick your measurement system in your profile. It tries pretty hard to make reasonable rounding so you don't get recipes with 15/16 oz or 17ml of something.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

So many places I could post this one so I chose perhaps the most tenuous. But I really think of it as a Negroni variation in spite of ... well...

YANV#1 (provisional name)

1 oz London Dry gin (I used a Sapphire knockoff)

1 oz Fernet Branca

3 teaspoons vermouth (Dolin red)

3 teaspoons Campari

1 teaspoon simple (2:1 because Campari is sweeter than Fernet)

3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with lemon twist

Finally got to it, Haresfur.

It's a good 'un if you can handle the Fernet, which plays very interestingly with the gin (mine, of course). I used a teaspoon of 1:1 syrup because it was there and didn't feel any lack of sweetness.

Where did YANV come from, anyway? Am I missing a cultural reference? It wouldn't be the first time ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Finally got to it, Haresfur.

It's a good 'un if you can handle the Fernet, which plays very interestingly with the gin (mine, of course). I used a teaspoon of 1:1 syrup because it was there and didn't feel any lack of sweetness.

Where did YANV come from, anyway? Am I missing a cultural reference? It wouldn't be the first time ...

Glad you liked it. Of course sweetness is to taste.  I tried it with varying amounts until it was way too sweet and judged by where I felt the gin came forward and wasn't lost in the bitter. But I have a bit of a sweet tooth, as much as I like bitter, too.

Yet Another Negroni Variation (internet geek cultural reference)

Considering North Beach Negroni because San Francisco, Fernet, Italian/beatnik neighbourhood where I had some good times.

Edited by haresfur (log)

I made this for myself tonight. I made it with a tsp. 1:1 simple because that's what I had on hand, but I think I'd try the spec'd 2:1 next time. Had the same reaction as lesliec: the Fernet obviously dominates, but the stuff underneath it happily doesn't get lost. 

This must be the most adventurous drink that my wife has liked.

1 person likes this

I made this for myself tonight. I made it with a tsp. 1:1 simple because that's what I had on hand, but I think I'd try the spec'd 2:1 next time. Had the same reaction as lesliec: the Fernet obviously dominates, but the stuff underneath it happily doesn't get lost. 

This must be the most adventurous drink that my wife has liked.

A fun experiment is to start with the gin and Fernet, taste, add the Campari taste, add the vermouth, taste, then add sugar and taste.

1 person likes this

12189261_616077616171_306057904613430628Inspired by Bar Termini:

Aged in glass and infused with pink peppercorns.

3 people like this

This Negroni variation with Byrrh as the base still had a lot of punch. At first it's Suze's woody bitterness that comes through. After a few sips though, it becomes very harmonious and, unexpectedly, coffee notes start to emerge.

Violet Negroni (Mathieu Sabbagh via Diffords) with Byrrh, Tanqueray London dry gin, Suze.

22957775635_78eb09710a_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

The Ultimate Negroni Guide is a fun read, with tasting notes and ratings of just about every variation you can imagine. 

Only a few days 'til Negroni Week!

1 person likes this

Wow, that seems to be quite thorough ! Thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

The Ultimate Negroni Guide is a fun read, with tasting notes and ratings of just about every variation you can imagine. 

Thanks!  I have not tried the Oaxaca Negroni (love the Oaxaca OF) or a Negroni Sbagliato.  I'm currently in need of some specific, measurable, attainable, yada yada xD goals so perhaps a different Negroni variation for each day of Negroni Week would fit the bill xD.

I recall you had some great Negroni Happy Hours planned last year.  Are you doing something this year?

Edited by blue_dolphin to add link (log)

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I recall you had some great Negroni Happy Hours planned last year.  Are you doing something this year?

Good memory! I have some menu ideas for a reprise, though whether it happens this year will depend on whether my wife,  recovering from minor surgery, will be up to running the "front of the house."

1 person likes this

My old pal Old Pal never gets any love.>:(

The ultimate guide above gave me the idea of equal parts gin (I used Sapphire East), Campari, Cynar, and dry vermouth (Boissiere). Lovely.

1 person likes this

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Posted (edited)

On 26/05/2016 at 2:50 AM, Craig E said:

Thanks for posting that, Craig. As a result, tonight's drink was an Oaxacan Negroni.  Wonderful (and now posted on Kindred).

Edited by lesliec Added link. (log)
1 person likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory