• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peeling fruits and veggies

CanadianBakin'

I've always peeled carrots for carrot cake & morning glory muffins, etc. but I was wondering if it was neccessary? And for a hearty muffin is it neccessary to peel apples? I don't mind doing it, I just want to make sure I'm not wasting time by doing all this peeling if I don't need to. What do you do?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'll be curious to see what serious pastry chefs (pro or amateur) have to say, but I think the reason to peel carrots is to eliminate dirt. I would think that with apples, the reason to peel them would be due to the texture of the peel itself. I'm not sure that unpeeled apples would be bad in muffins and similar confections.

Michael aka "Pan"

I am a professional pastry chef. I usually just scrub carrots with a vege brush before shredding them, unless they are very hairy, then I will peel them. As for apples I sometimes peel them for muffins and other times I don't, sometimes I just grate them on the rough side of a grater without peeling and it kind of peels them as they shred.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Hey.....

I make Morning Glory muffins too......

a LOT of Morning Glory muffins. I hate making the batter, because I have to core so many apples and shred a lot of freakin' carrots. Nope, I don't peel either one of 'em. I wash the carrots and shred in the Cuisinart (wish we had a Robot Coupe, but it bit the dust), and then core my apples and "cuiz" them too....with the slicer attachment thingy.

Man.....if I had to peel the apples, I surely would freak out.

:blink::blink::blink::blink::wacko::wacko::wacko: