• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Definitive French Wine Book

DCMark

Actually, there are quite a few. Are you looking for a general reference, and how much are you willing to spend? (Some of the trade and coffee-table reference books are very expensive, $75 to $200.) Are you interested in certain areas? Or just starting to explore? Some books focus more on describing the regions, while some focus more on the wines and producers. Where would you like to start?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Thanks Mary.

Well its a gift for me so price is not a problem :biggrin:

I have a French wife so I am good on the regions and the types of wines produced there. I am more interested in learnig about specific producers of wine, specific chateaus/brands/etc. I seem to recall my father having some sort of imposing book on French wine in the 1970s....looking for something like that but updated.

Actually, there are quite a few.  Are you looking for a general reference, and how much are you willing to spend?  (Some of the trade and coffee-table reference books are very expensive, $75 to $200.)  Are you interested in certain areas?  Or just starting to explore?  Some books focus more on describing the regions, while some focus more on the wines and producers.  Where would you like to start?

I would highly recommend a recent and very complete, well-written book by British wine writer Andrew Jefford, The New France: A Complete Guide to Contemporary French Wine.

The maps are good, the summaries of each area are complete and he profiles the leading estates in even the most obscure regions.

It's $45 full price, but now that it's been available for a year and half, you may be able to find it cheaper...

I like The Wine Atlas of France and traveler's guide to the vineyards by Mitchell Beazley.

It begins with:

Wine law and vineyard classification

Grape varieties

Vineyard sites: Climate and soil

Then it takes you through each of the regions with excellent maps, photos, and includes producers of special interest, fêtes (festivals), wine (tourist) information, hotels, restaurants, and places of interest.

Although this book has no information about vintages, which can be had from so many Internet sites so it's an acceptable omission, I think French person would appreciate it.

I'm not familiar with Andrew Jefford's, The New France, so I can't comment on it. Clive Coates, The Wines of France, is a good read.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Thanks everyone. I put a few of these on my list and picked up this one on sale myself.

Is there a noted book/reference on French wine, regions, vintages, etc? 

Thank you

hachette atlas of french wines & vineyards, edited by pascal riberau-gayon

2nd ed. 2000

Thanks everyone.  I put a few of these on my list and picked up this one on sale myself.
Is there a noted book/reference on French wine, regions, vintages, etc? 

Thank you

hachette atlas of french wines & vineyards, edited by pascal riberau-gayon

2nd ed. 2000

ENJOY