• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which supermarket?

Scottf

Which supermarket chain in the UK offers the best selection of wines or are they a waste of time?

Can you buy good wine and how are prices compared to other sectors of the wine industry?

As you can probably tell I am but a mere novice so any advice is much appreciated!

Waitrose. By a country mile. Their 'Inner Cellar' selection is pretty good, and their normal wines are not bad either.

But I have basically stopped buying wines from supermarkets, because I find a more interesting choice of stuff from independent wine merchants, and the prices are pretty much comparable. Sometimes the independents are cheaper. And by developing a relationship with a good independent you get recommendations, snippets of information and often invitations to tastings. Example: my local wine merchant is holding a tasting next week at which the centrepiece is a colheita (single-vintage tawny) port from 1863!!!!!!!! Sadly I can't go, but I am going to the Burgundy tasting the week after, which will feature a Chambertin vertical. I can't afford Chambertin, but it's interesting to try it. At Waitrose (and I stress they are the best) the guidance at the in-store tastings amounts to 'this is Australian' and 'this is from Chile'.

Find a good independent. You won't regret it.

Adam

I completely agree with Adam about Waitrose.Where supermarkets do score is at the lower end of the market where their superior buying power enables them to purchase large quantities at prices which independent merchants find hard to match.

There was one year when Safeway's buyers bought up some enormous percentage of the excellent Turkheim Co-operative's product and was able to offer it at far less than anyone else.

Now that cheaper wine is infinitely more drinkable than it used to be,I would still look to supermarkets for most sub £6.50 stuff, plus cheaper champagnes and fortified wines.

Thanks men!  As I have 2 Waitrose within a 5m radius it would seem a good place to start.

I'm looking to start at the cheaper end as there is no guarantee that I could tell the difference between a £5 or a £50 bottle.  By doing this I can hopefully find the countries/grapes/styles I prefer before experimenting at a more expensive level.

I don't really buy the supermarket buying power argument in this context. Clearly they do have great buying power, but that doesn't translate to cheaper grog, well, not usually. Take one example: Sainsburys have A Mano Primitivo (which is excellent - Primitivo is what the Italians call Zinfandel) for £6.99; I can get it from my local independent for six quid.

Tony's Turckheim collective example goes counter to that, but to me this just shows that sometimes a supermarket will be cheaper, sometimes an independent will.

Plus I have ideological and environmental objections to supermarkets and try to keep my use of them to a minimum (not always successfully).

I am going to the Burgundy tasting the week after, which will feature a Chambertin vertical.

Adam -- What day is the Chambertin vertical you mentioned, and, if a weekday, is it available for new customers and held after 6:30 p.m. at night?

Cabrales - the burgundy tasting is tonight as it happens, starting at 1700 and running through to 2000. I believe it's sold out, but if you can get to Oxford this evening you could ring the merchant (Andrew Chapman Fine Wines, www.surf4wine.co.uk) and find out.

I think it may no longer have the Chambertin though - I'm going to take it up with him if it's not there..... There are some Gevrey 1er crus though, so it won't be a wasted night.

Adam

Cabrales,if you're interested in fine wine tastings,a friend and I are organizing some on the lines of a now defunct wine club that both Magnolia and I belonged to.Our first tasting is good Aussie shiraz and is on April 20th at my flat in Wapping.Magnolia will be there.If you're interested please e-mail me:tfinchy@hotmail.com and I'll supply more details.That goes for any other e-gulleter in London.

Cabrales,if you're interested in fine wine tastings,a friend and I are organizing some on the lines of a now defunct wine club that both Magnolia and I belonged to.Our first tasting is good Aussie shiraz and is on April 20th at my flat in Wapping.Magnolia will be there.

Tony -- Thanks  :biggrin: When is the latest that I should let you know, in order for you to plan the number of bottles and other aspects of the tasting? There's less than a 50/50 chance I'll be in London, as that's a weekend and I might be tempted by France! But, if I'm in London, I'd want to join in.  :wink: