• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving and the Cranberry Dilemma

Cucina

Here's one for a lively discussion - one of my grandmothers always made cranberry sauce every thanksgiving and christmas using whole fresh cranberrys. The other used to serve cranberry slices right out of the can - looked like a bad jello mold. (Guess which grandmother's house we visited more often for holildays?) Anyway - just curious what kind of experiences others have had - especially when it comes to being a guest in someone elses home for a holiday or at a first holiday dinner with your in laws where you realize they eat strange food.

I, who don't much care for turkey "as is", generally end up bringing my own cranberry sauce to the home I've been invited to. Several years ago I tried making my own whole berry sauce with orange juice & peel, but it tasted about like the "cran-fruit" stuff in the tub, so now I buy a can :blush: of the whole berry sauce. I love it, and it just ain't Turkey Day without it!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

No longer able to stand the canned cranberry .. always make my own and add wonderful things to the fresh berries: orange zest, sugar, port wine, fresh apples ... it cooks down and I adore the results .. very simple and well worth it!!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Homemade cranberry sauce is pretty easy - a bag of fresh whole cranberries, cover them with just enough water and add about 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar depending on how sweet or sour you like them. Add grated orange and lemon rind. Bring to a boil and then simmer until they reach the desired consistency. I like mine where they are tender but not overboiled. They are better after a day in the fridge.

I make my whole berry sauce with fresh cranberries, orange juice, orange zest, unflavored gelatin (aids in thickening once refrigerated) and a healthy splash of Grand Marnier toward the end. Everyone loves it.

The other one I make is Cranberry Jalapeno sauce from FabulousFoods.com. That goes particularly well with deep fried turkey.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My wife almost fell over the first I took her home to Louisiana for Thanksgiving. My step-dad does a turkey on the rotissierie, no cornbread or cranberries to be found - but plenty of rice dressing. When the food is ready (after he carves the turkey), you grab a plate from the cabinet serve yourself, then afind a place to sit. The kitchen table usualy sits in two shifts. If it's not too cold, there's the picnic table outside.

Very casual. No grace, and while my step-grandmother puts a couple more ice cubes in her glass of wine, my mom and brother argue over how long to microwave the butter to soften it up. Unconventional, but you won't eat better anywhere. :biggrin:

Screw it. It's a Butterball.