• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

convenient eats

torakris

• 2 months later...

Haven't been out of the house in ages but today took the kids to the convenience store (7-11) for lunch.

gallery_6134_1003_14328.jpg

I had the double cheese (cheddar and mozarella) chicken katsu sandwich, you are supposed to heat it up in the microwave to melt the cheese. It wasn't bad but they were really skimpy on the grainy mustard.

Hide had the eggs

Mia and Julia both picked out this one

gallery_6134_1003_33395.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 months later...

still jetlagged and in no mood for cooking so the kids and I picked up lunch at the convenience store. If you can call it lunch at 10:00...

gallery_6134_1003_29529.jpg

I had the tofu salad up in the corner and it was actually quite good.

I guess they don't call it the lazy days of summer for no reason....

convenient store lunch again....

gallery_6134_1003_1996.jpg

Mine is the soba, Hide chose a corokke (croquette) burger.

This soba was soooo good! It had deep fried gobo (burdock root), scallions, carrots and grated daikon, I don't think I have ever licked a bowl clean before.

Everyone in Japan, run out to 7-11 now! :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

Ok, I am going to add some of my combini favorites. Lawson Pizza-man are awesome for a quick snack or breakfast, I have to use a lot of self control or I would eat them all the time. 7/11 used to have rice and tonkatsu with a curry over it. That was really good, but I haven't seen them in 2005. 7/11's oden is pretty good, but kind of salty, they also have some really nice tan tan men in giant red and black bowl that you cook at home, those are really good, but I think they are seasonal because I haven't seen those in a while too. There is a new Karubi stamina beef bowl that has a good flavor but the meat is sometimes tough and too fatty.

• 11 months later...

Ohhh, how I miss conbini! Lawson, Family Mart, Hot Spar...there is nothing in the States that compares. What I would give to be able to get an onigiri, nikuman, or the daikon from the oden here anytime of the day.

I have to add to the love for the pizza-man; shoot, or any of the -"man." When I go back to visit my family (still in Okinawa) I looove to grab an anman for breakfast. Yum.

Has anyone been to those Family Mart-run stores in California? Sure looks similar...and tasty :)

Has anyone been to those Family Mart-run stores in California? Sure looks similar...and tasty :)

i live in pasadena, ca, and 2 or 3 famima!! (the sign really does have both exclamation pts, ha!) have opened up in a 10 block radius of my place. i adore their onigiri (so far i've had the kombu and cooked salmon filling) and hand rolls (mentaiko and spicy squid is my favorite). i haven't tried the entrees, but they have stuff like fettucine alfredo and loco moco as well as a bunch of desserts.

pasadena's a terrible place for late night snacks, so i'm quite happy to have these stores near me. i also know that there have been some store openings in LA proper.

Marie

i live in pasadena, ca, and 2 or 3 famima!! (the sign really does have both exclamation pts, ha!) have opened up in a 10 block radius of my place. i adore their onigiri (so far i've had the kombu and cooked salmon filling) and hand rolls (mentaiko and spicy squid is my favorite). i haven't tried the entrees, but they have stuff like fettucine alfredo and loco moco as well as a bunch of desserts.

pasadena's a terrible place for late night snacks, so i'm quite happy to have these stores near me. i also know that there have been some store openings in LA proper.

oh, you lucky lucky girl. How much do they charge for onigiri? I always love them because they are so cheap--105 yen (a bit less than $1) for a tasty miso one.

Im going to call Famima!! tomorrow and see if they can bring one to the King of Prussia area...

Its got the largest retail mall in the country (Mall Of America is bigger ONLY cause it has hotels and amusements) and all the highways join up in that area...

It is a prime area.

Its commute city.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

oh, you lucky lucky girl. How much do they charge for onigiri? I always love them because they are so cheap--105 yen (a bit less than $1) for a tasty miso one.

i think it's under $2 for the onigiri. i went there today and got a seaweed salad and a spicy tuna roll for about $8 total. the prices for the rolls aren't mindblowing, but it's better than the kind available at nearby gourmet supermarkets. never tried miso, sounds tasty!

Marie

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone who lives in the Philadelphia, NJ, De, MD area AND has been to Japanese Combinis, is a Wawa Mkt the closest thing we have to a Combini?

Im always curious cause the Wawa has very fresh things and healthy eats...

BTW- this is a cam outside of a Lawsons, it refreshes fast.

http://akashi.viplive.jp/index.cgi?livecam3

Oh BTW would the Japanese posters here like me to take pics of the inside of three popular American Convenience Stores including 7-11?

Just so you can see how the originals are?

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Oh BTW would the Japanese posters here like me to take pics of the inside of three popular American Convenience Stores including 7-11?

Just so you can see how the originals are?

Thanks, post some photos here! I'd like to see them.

• 3 weeks later...

Left one: MMK stands for multimedia kiosk. I didn't know anything about it, I googled and found it's not a conbini but a multifunctional information terminal.

from here.

Middle one: I din't know anything about Timely, either. I found you can find their stores in and around Aichi.

Right one: Conbini called Sun Every.

I found this map, which shows the ratio of their stores to all conbini in each prefecture as a percentage.

So, what are those signs supposed to mean to you??