• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for inexpensive turntable

aidensnd2

Check these out.

I have the tilting turntable which I like very much. However if you don't need one (much easier on the back) you can get one of the flat ones at a very reasonable price.

I bought mine here:

Shop here.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Looking for an inexpensive turntable for cake work. Anyone know of a good source?

Wilton makes an inexpensive but serviceable plastic one that I have seen at most craft stores like Michael's for under $20. We have it and it's basically fine. If you want it fast, I'd call around for that.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There are certain items I use non-stop and my turn table is one of those invaluable items. I don't think you can go wrong with the metal ones, they don't seem to ever break and 39.00 is a good price. The cheapest I've ever seen that metal stand was 45.00..........so 39.00 is a deal in my opinion.

I think you'd live to regret the plastic ones unless you needed something light weight for traveling. I've used the larger rectangular one and that's really nice when your doing full sheet cakes. Technically that model works spinning your cake on the rectangle or the round base as shown. BUT I don't think it's indistructable like the metal ones.

I recently bought this one metal turntable from Pfeil and Holing for $39.50. I'm already in love with it - works like a dream. Get the additional non-skid turntable covers while you're at it. This one will last a lifetime, as far as I can tell.

At $39.50, that's by far the best price I've seen for those turntables. I bought one over the summer on eBay for about $50 - and it ain't new. In fact, I was thinking I'd sand it and repaint (the paint is considerably yellowed).

But maybe I'll try to sell it and get a new one for $39.50 instead! Hell, if I paid $50 for one on eBay, someone else should, right? :biggrin:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Dan,

If you are in a pinch, your microwave's turntable situated on something sturdy to elevate it should work just fine. It makes sense not to buy a cake turntable just to frost the occasional cake - they take up a lot of room in the kitchen (and sometimes a lot of room out of your wallet). I think I remember this coming from Alton Brown. Please clean the spattered spagetti sauce first! :raz: