• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris anniversary dinner

mogsob

Thanks to all for their wonderful comments. After a great deal of reading of mouthwatering menus, looking at wonderful decors and much disccusion, we have decided on Le Meurice. We have made a booking and are looking forward to it immensely.

It was a difficult decision - as we had several restaurants on the "short" list. All that were suggested in this forum were fabulous suggestions, and I only wish that we could try them all out! :biggrin:

Thanks once again to all.

I am looking forward to one whole month in France. It is certainly one of our favourite countries (after Canada of course!)

Life is short, eat dessert first

• 2 months later...

As Forum Host, I received this request via an email and I thought it was worth posting formally for discussion since I'll bet members have lots of ideas that didn't occur to me.

"We are planning our 10th wedding anniversary in Paris on May 20th, and would like to share a special meal with 12 friends from London. We would like something really special, in a venue accommodating of such a large group and with beautiful décor, but within our budget.  I am inspired by Le Grand Vefour, where I have eaten in the past (I believe they have a private dining room?), and my husband is excited by Guy Savoy, to give you some idea of our tastes.

However, we would also like to treat our 12 guests to dinner, and so the expense would be quite extravagant at those establishments.  Would you have any recommendations that a novice might overlook for such a large party that would still make for a wonderful occasion? I think we would budget for a 150 euro per person as a rough yardstick.

I had considered Le Pre Catelan, but worried it was too far out of town...?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks so much in advance.”

My answer was:

"This is a tough one. First, you really want a separate room and the number of places with such is a bit limited. Second, you want to negotiate with several places around prices, selections, wines, champagne, digestifs, etc.

I think Pre Catalan is a great idea, but at night one must take a cab, while for lunch you can walk over if it's nice weather.

I also know both Bon Acceuil and Restaurant W have rooms and excellent food and won't break your budget.

I had my last big birthday party for 10 at Petit Colombier and it was affordable, good food and a wonderful room.

A spectacular room in a nice setting is Terminus Nord but the food is just standard brasserie stuff not Savoy or Martin.

Best wishes"

Other suggestions?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

You might want to look for places with a private room, or take over a small restaurant on a weeknight. I'll bet one of the guides indicates places where this is possible.

But for the path of least resistance and most potential fun for your budget...I would suggest Le Ciel de Paris on top of the Tour Montparnasse.

Wait- hear me out. a) the views are exceptional, almost anywhere you sit in the restaurant - with 12 you almost certainly won't be near the window but you will be up on a platform so your view won't be blocked b) it's great fun, tremendously kitsch, from the sparkly ceiling in the lift, to the piano bar (i.e. a piano that is actually the bar) and very festive but in way that can only be pulled off by the French, anywhere else and it would make your eyes roll c) the food is very decent, not star quality but service is comme il faut, the wine list is good, and there are lots of choices for people of all dietary persuasions. With 12 they may ask you to choose from a fixed menu though d) I've seen large groups there (I can't say 12 for sure, but definitely over six) e) I'm pretty sure it will be well within your budget. But don't trust me...hop on a Eurostar and try before you buy.

http://cieldeparis.com/intro.html

But for the path of least resistance and most potential fun for your budget...I would suggest Le Ciel de Paris on top of the Tour Montparnasse.

I realize it's not I asking the question, but you know, I was dragged kicking and screaming there a couple of years ago and it wasn't half bad.

Also in case everyone hasn't figured it out already, the Tour M. is the only place where you don't see it, thus views from the roof are much better than the Tour Eiffel. We just revisited it last weekend and the looks into the gardens of the Ministries and Matignon, etc., still awe me.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris