• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisana coffee

FistFullaRoux

Louisiana is a little unique in the coffee world, as they have their own sort of blends and techniques. Not all Louisiana coffee has chickory in it (despite what the tourists think).

I'm specifically trying to compare brands; Community, CDM, Seaport, etc. I drink Community (when I can get my hands on it), and I always remember my aunt drinking Seaport. Don't much care for Chickory, myself...

Any comments?

edited to replace the Charlie Daniels Band reference with the Cafe Du Monde reference. I need a cuppa myself, I think.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Louisiana is a little unique in the coffee world, as they have their own sort of blends and techniques. Not all Louisiana coffe has chickory in it (despite what the tourists think).

I'm specifically trying to compare brands; Community, CDB, Seaport, etc. I drink Community (when I can get my hands on it), and I always remember my aunt drinking Seaport. Don't much care for Chickory, myself...

Any comments?

I am kind of partial to Community "Hotel" blend when I just want a cup of coffee and I special order the 4 cup hotel packs for our guest house.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I don't drink coffee on a daily basis, but the coffee I always buy and have on hand at home is Community Coffee, Between Roast. In order to capitalize on the gourmet coffee market, Community has another line called CC's (which is the name of their coffee shop, as well).

Have you tried Mello Joy? It's an old Louisiana brand that has recently been revived, amidst a bit of controversy.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

• 3 weeks later...

We always get Community, ordered through their website, www.communitycoffee.com. I definitely prefer it over CDM, but have never tried Seaport, that I recall. The website is pretty user-friendly, and when I placed an order in September, they offered gifts for placing standing orders -- including a Bodum grinder.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I just placed my first order of CC decaf coffee and chicory yesterday, so I'll report back. I've purchased CDM's decaf coffee and chicory before and really enjoyed it. (I don't drink caffeinated beverages.)

I absolutely love, love, love coffee and especially loved the coffee I sampled while visiting New Orleans last spring, so I've been interested in the LA coffee culture since then.

Community between roast..could go dark roast, but when we have guest they find it a bit strong, since we french drip. I remember my parents drinking seaport for years before they converted. I can still smell the difference in the 2, for some reason seaport smells sweeter. We take our community with us everywhere. I discovered I don't have to bring it to Gulf Shores though...they carry all things from LA. Zaterain's, Tony's, roux, file, tabasco, crab boil etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some of the New Orleans roast from CC--both decaf and caf, figuring I'd brew some for my LA-themed birthday party last night. Of course I got carried away during the party and forgot to brew coffee. :rolleyes: But I did crack open one of the sacks of decaf a couple of days ago and it was absolutely divine--that dark-bitter-rich brew I love so much. The order came pretty promptly, too, in a cute box imprinted with CC "stamps."