• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wd-50 2004 - 2007

flinflon28

I briefly caught a glimpse of an add on the food channel about a new show or some already existing show that would be talking about new technological ways of cooking and I thought I caught glimpses of Wylie and Cantu from Moto in Chicago. I have not seen this add again. Does anyone know what i'm talking about or have any more info?

I enjoyed the show very much last night.

Thought Wylie pulled it off.

Loved that there was sous vide set ups.

Thought that the female judge might have been thrown off by the texture of the fish sous vide though when she exclaimed that it tasted "overcooked" and "mushy".

Those are terms you see written sometimes here in the sous vide cooking threads.

Good show!

2317/5000

I have to say Wylie was truly inspirational last night, with all due respect, the woman judge probably had limited prior consumption of fish cooked sous-vide and basically had no clue.

Regardless of how you feel about WD's food,Inspiration,flavors, yadi yada......probably one of the top 3 Iron chef shows to date.

I have to say Wylie was truly inspirational last night, with all due respect, the woman judge probably had limited prior consumption of fish cooked sous-vide and basically had no clue.

Regardless of how you feel about WD's food,Inspiration,flavors, yadi yada......probably one of the top 3 Iron chef shows to date.

No question it was one if not the best ICA ever. Let's keep this topic for discussion of the restaurant and this one or discussion of the show.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Just received a mail from Sam Mason regarding my question about their plates....

Thank- you, and to answer your question about the plates. We get them from

Clio, which is a store on Thompson st. Here in the city........

sam

So i think i am going to start a thread here

Edited by reuvens (log)

My wife and I had an amazing time at WD two nights ago. She was assigned to do a "zagat" type dessert review for school and we thought is was an awesome excuse to pop our WD-50 cherry. :wink: I'm not sure we have picked our jaws off of the floor yet! Kind of like :shock: but way more pronounced.

We went in for the 5 course dessert tasting but had a couple of appetizers as a warm up. Its all one big blur but I'll try and list the dishes. There are two that are just stuck in my head and since then I have forgotten all else.

Two things are sure in our minds after the fact, 1. Sam Mason is a master doing amazing, you saw it here first folks type things in that kitchen. 2. we must return for the full tasting asap.

We had the Foie bullet and shrimp cous cous for aps. There were amazing, and have been talked about endlessly on the boards.

Pre-dessert - Ants on a Log- One of our clear favorites. WOW!

Manchego Cheescake

Miso Creme Brulee

Braised Pinapples with Mustard Ice cream- This is the dish that rocked my world. I listlessly sit and day dream about it now. :wub:

Black Olive Claufoutis- I dont even eat or like olives and I loved this dessert.

Butternut sorbet, mole etc.

We loved each dish and loved how the flavors seemed to get stronger and more pronounced as the courses went by. There was a split instant that we almost told to server to pour some coffee and send us through again!

What a chef.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Made a reservation for our 27th Anniversary - Friday Feb 17th. The last two years were Per Se and Cru - I'm sure this experience will be on par or better than those.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Made a reservation for our 27th Anniversary - Friday Feb 17th. The last two years were Per Se and Cru - I'm sure this experience will be on par or better than those.

I would tend to agree, but undeniably different, as well.

I would tend to agree as well at least as far as Per Se (I haven't been to Cru yet), but as Bryan says it is undeniably different. I would not necessarily expect all diners to agree with Bryan and I, though. Per Se is significantly more elegant and the food more straightforwardly accessible than WD-50. personally, I find WD-50 to be an extremely comfortable restaurant with a very nice NYC vibe. The food is right up my alley - it is fun, intellectually stimulating, beautiful and, of course, delicious. Per Se would be the better choice for a business dinner for which one did not know the proclivities of one's dining partners, but for a dinner in which all the diners are excited about food and creativity it is my opinion that WD-50 is the better choice.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I would tend to agree, but undeniably different, as well.

I would tend to agree as well at least as far as Per Se (I haven't been to Cru yet), but as Bryan says it is undeniably different. I would not necessarily expect all diners to agree with Bryan and I, though. Per Se is significantly more elegant and the food more straightforwardly accessible than WD-50. personally, I find WD-50 to be an extremely comfortable restaurant with a very nice NYC vibe. The food is right up my alley - it is fun, intellectually stimulating, beautiful and, of course, delicious. Per Se would be the better choice for a business dinner for which one did not know the proclivities of one's dining partners, but for a dinner in which all the diners are excited about food and creativity it is my opinion that WD-50 is the better choice.

They're both incredible restaurants, impossible to compare. If I could only eat at one of the two ever again, I would pick WD~50 in an instant, but that's just me.

• 5 weeks later...

Dinner last night. Tasting menu and added two supplements - short ribs and hangar tartar. I think that made 13 courses. A great bottle of Mouvedre from Australia, a terrific Sauvignon Blanc and a spectacular late harvest Johannisberg Riesling helped wash everything down.

All the courses have been described with great detail upthread by others, so there's no need for me to repeat.

But here's my overall review - WOW!

Never had a better meal in NYC, including Per Se, Cru, ADNY etc.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Here's a link to a cheese tart recipe ( in Spanish) that Wylie has an the Spanish Gastronomy

site 'Apicius'.

Cool stuff!

You're going to need some 'Gellan' though...:biggrin:

Cebolla Tart recipe

Any possible way to translate - looks great!

Rich Schulhoff

I don't think you can cut & paste the page into a translator like Sherlock or something like that, I just tried it, but...

You probably already figured out the 12.5 onzas = oz.

taza= cup

cucharadita= teaspoon ( I think)

cuchara = tablespoon

and so on.

The biggest obstacle would be getting the low acyl and high acyl gellan, as I THINK this is a "gelled" hot cheese tart, kind of like a napoleon but the cheese won't melt out when served hot because of the gellan.

This would be like wd50 pastry chef Sam Masons 'Caramelized Apple with Miso Ice Cream"sammasonnyc.com.

Click on recipes...

2317/5000

I believe it's not a cheese tart, it's an onion tart if I read the recipe correctly? Cebolla is Spanish for onion.

(Sound of hand smacking forehead!)

DOAH!!!!

Googled it and everything!

Kept on seeing cheese & onion.

Thought cheese

Thanks for that correction!!!

Any hints of preparation?

2317/5000

I went to WD~50 for the first time the night of the blizzard last Saturday. My orignal impression was, this was a restaurant that was just too hyped and trendy and did too many cultural culinary mutilation but I was completely proven wrong! On paper some of the dishes just doesn't sound appetizing but somehow they seem to work. It's too bad they can't quite translate what comes on the plate on paper well. We were lucky we had a fantastic server who made great suggestions. She even warned me about how fatty pork bellies are... bah fat is phat!! I had the following dishes:

Pickled beef tongue, fried mayonnaise, onion streusel

- I didn't know what to do with the mayonnaise and other little fancy things sprinkled on the plate... do I eat them all together? which do I mix?

Pork belly, sauerkraut spaetzle, swiss cheese consomme, romaine

- this was divine!

Braised pineapple, mustard ice cream, coconut

- it wasn't all that memorable but was delicious, mustard ice cream was just like wasabi ice cream... sounds gross but it's only the secondary tone that is mustard-like.

I will definitely go back there again! Too bad I don't live in NY...

ahh where's the button for the fries?

I forgot to mention this about my dinner on Friday. Wylie was cooking in the kitchen and I know that because we were invited in to say hello.

I found this very interesting. I thought celebrity chefs wern't supposed to cook in their own restaurants anymore. Aren't they only to cook on their own TV show or as a guest chef on another show.

And when they're not on TV, I thought all their time was spent writing cookbooks and opening new restaurants. So was was Wylie cooking? Didn't his fellow CCs forward him the rules? There's certainly almost no excuse for finding him in the kitchen. This doesn't bode well for him - I totally surprised at his errant behavior.

Rich Schulhoff

I forgot to mention I was at wd-50 as a single diner about 1 month ago. Without being too biased I have to say everything tasted great and the experience was on my top 3 of all time. Specifically, I recall the "oyster" pebbles and the Yogurt Noodles both being delicious and very inventive.

A respone to your post above: It doesnt surprise me one bit that Wylie was in his kitchen. He is usually there most of the time. Unfortunately that is a dying breed. It seems that in todays world of chefdom many professionals are looking for the quickest way out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. Chef Dufresne carries on as a cook. Thats nice to see.

Edited by inventolux (log)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com