• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two cooking questions need an answer, please

Gifted Gourmet

A friend who is in Los Angeles on a trip just regaled me with the menu of a dinner he had last night which contained, among other things, an appetizer which had golden candied beets and red beets ... need some ideas on how to locate the golden beets... possibly at Whole Foods? local farmers markets?

and then he had a gorgeous tuna tartare with a green pickled peppercorn coulis (for lack of a more descriptive word) ...

So, how do I make them? He was unsure of the "binding agent" in the green peppercorn coulis ... not mayonnaise, he vehemently proclaimed! ... :shock:

What I found on golden beets is here :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Melissa, one way to make candied beets is to first roast them, then peel, slice and arrange them in a baking dish, cover them with maple syrup, and bake them for twenty minutes or so. (I've also done this using a mixture of honey and orange juice -- I'm sure simple syrup or cane syrup would work, as well.) I usually toss them with some toasted walnuts and serve (warm or at room temperature) drizzled with some balsamic vinegar.

I'd think you could find the golden beets either at WF or the FMs. There are also white beets around -- the three make a nice-looking combination.

Sorry, no ideas about the coulis... could it just have been a green peppercorn cream sauce?

Cheers,

Squeat

Will follow your recipe for the golden beets, Squeat, and it looks delicious!

I really think that the green peppercorns are pickled, whirled in a food processor, and that the "binder" might be an egg-and-oil emulsion ....

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A friend who is in Los Angeles on a trip just regaled me with the menu of a dinner he had last night which contained, among other things, an appetizer which had golden candied beets and red beets ... need some ideas on how to locate the golden beets... possibly at Whole Foods? local farmers markets?

Lately I've noticed golden beets at our local farmers' markets and at the... hm, "upscale" isn't quite the right word... at the markets that put a high priority on produce. Around here, this ranges from places like Andronico's (aka Astronomico's, for their prices) to the Berkeley Bowl or Piedmont Grocery, where the prices are not that far out of line with the supermarkets. Whole Foods seems like another likely place.

There was a sign in the Berkeley Bowl produce department the other day: "baby chioggia beets". (Excellent for roasting, as it preserves the striped pattern.) Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any actual beets to go with the sign. :sad:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)