• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miel recommendations

chowfun

I am going to head over there on Tuesday to pick up some special treats for hubbys birhtday. Any recommendations? I was thinking about an assortment of goodies we could cut up and share. Can anyone give me the name of the other French pastry shop nearby. I think it may be on Sansom?

I am going to head over there on Tuesday to pick up some special treats for hubbys birhtday.  Any recommendations?  I was thinking about an assortment of goodies we could cut up and share.  Can anyone give me the name of the other French pastry shop nearby.  I think it may be on Sansom?

I believe you're thinking of Yann's Pastries at 122 South 18th Street. I confess I know little about it, but the stuff that's visible from the window looks quite tasty. But hell, what doesn't look good when you've got your nose pressed up against the patisserie window? :biggrin:

We buy many of our desserts at Rouge from Miel on 17th. Everything is delicious! Go in and ask for store Manager Kristina. She's incredibly helpful and knows everything in the cases. A box of mixed desserts from Miel should give you plenty to enjoy for the birthday festivities and you can cut them in half and share! More things to try that way, yes? :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I am sort of obsessive about pastries of late, and so everything I taste gets thoroughly scrutinized (although I usually end up enjoying most things because of my newly developed sweet tooth). I have been in Miel twice in the last few months and can wholeheartedly recommend the Linzer Bar and the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie - both are probably the best I have ever had in each respective category (the linzer is perfectly sized for an individual).

if you're going in the morning, their croissants and palmiers are damn good. as all puff pastry things, they get worse as they get older. but they're mostly still good in mid-afternoon.

of course, that's not so good for your party. their madeleines really are great, as are their fruit tarts.

I'm having a Miel Almond Croissant as I type this. It's about as good an any I've ever had.

Looking through last week's bills from Miel I see the Lemon Tarts are quite popular here, since we reorder them quite often! As mrbigjas recommended, the fruit tarts are awe inspiring. Beautiful to look at and they taste just as good as they look.

I've also tried their ice cream. The chocolate is the best chocolate ice cream I've ever had, hands down.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Miel's French macaroons are my favorite, especially the raspberry or boysenberry, when they are available. I have also had their to-die-for ice cream on several occasions (coconut is my favorite!)-- they will sometimes do ice cream sandwiches with their cookies by special order, which is absolutely a big chunky piece of heaven.

"Love and cook with reckless abandon" - Dalai Lama

Thanks for all the recommendations. I skipped looking for Yanni's and went to Miel, it sounded so amazing. I picked out four different desserts to try, and we happily polished them off. I should have written down the names of the desserts while in the store, because they escape me. We had this beautiful apricot pastry that was shiny and bright orange with sponge cake, cream and apricots in the middle, the linzer cookie, the lemon tart and a hazelnut chocolate pastry. Everything was great. The hazelnut pastry was the best, it was not too sweet, with a strong dark chocolate flavor, hazelnut mousse or cream and at the bottom a crunchy toffee layer. I also sampled an almond croissant when I picked up the loot and it was very good. The only other place in the Philly area where I have had a croissant that good was at the french bakery in Narberth.

The only other place in the Philly area where I have had a croissant that good was at the french bakery in Narberth."

Oh so good! I live very close to Narberth and was fortunate enough to have a cake, as well as some treats, from Le Petit Mitron for my birthday on Oct. 6.

The link provided will lead you to my site (check the photo album section - The Bake Shop - of my new blog

Minor Gourmandry)

I think I will also put in some pictures of Metropolitan's unbelievable rich chocolate croissant (the almond may be better, but is usually over-powedered with sugar).

No mention yet of Miel's cheese danishes?  Such a good danish: flaky, cheesey, not too sweet.  And with just about the best prize/size ratio you could ask for: one dollar for a nice snack-sized treat.  Not too big, not too small.

it ain't a dollar no more--they raised their prices this week. madeleines went from .40 to .60, and palmiers went from $1 to $1.35.

My sister is apprenticing at Miel's bakery in jersey and gets to bring anything she wants back everyday.I never get tired of it :biggrin:

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream