• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stuffed peppers

torakris

I did them Sicilian style about a month back: stuffed with breadcrumbs, pecorino, chopped anchovies (optional, but why not?) pine nuts, capers, currants, mint, oregano, chilies. Also, stealing from Mario, I spritzed them with a little red wine vinegar and water before they went into the oven: made a very nice, super-concentrated pan drippings to spoon back over as they were served.

I'm with Kevin, though my lovely German wife is a rice and beef supporter. A slight variation of the breadcrumb stuffing is one made substituting the bread with very little penne pasta, actually cut maccheroni (the Italian ones which are thick hollow spaghetti). cooked al dente and dressed with the same ingredients used cor the bread crumbs plus one or two diced tomatoes.

Another stuffing I really like, but seldom make is the tuna stuffed peppers from Piedmont. I don't have a recipe at hand but if you'd like I could look it up when I get home.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

• 2 years later...

I've never been a traditionalist when it comes to stuffing peppers or chilies. from habaneros stuffed with a mango cream cheese to red peppers stuffed with lamb, feta, sun dried toms, and pine nuts - I've come up with some odd combinations - some worked, and some didn't...

I'm just wondering what is your favorite way to stuff a pepper or chilies?

1995 Saveur Issue #8 Sept/Oct Issue ran an article on Nice which included amongst other great dishes, a recipe for Farcis a la Nicoise - Stuffed Vegetables. This provoked a couple of summers worth of experiments at my house and these fabulous, tasty treats were incorporated as appetizers with drinks, accompaniments with dinner and the starring role for weekend lunches on the deck or in the garden.

Use eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, zucchinis, onions and shitake/portobella mushrooms. The filling recipe started out with:

. lean salt pork

. ground lamb

. cooked rice

. lots of chopped parsley

. garlic

. S&P

. lightly beaten eggs

. parmigiano/reggiano

. fresh breadcrumbs

. fresh thyme

Experimented with merguez sausage, dropped the rice, increased the b.crumbs and many other combinations. Thanks for the thread, it's made me remember how wonderful these treats were and, as the stuffing may be prepared in advance, very easy to put together.

Rover

The weekend editon of the wsj has a nice article on veggies, every which way.

I either do the ground meat/tomatoe sauce thing, or crawfish/shrimp and rice. the latter is basically an etouffe' stuffed into a pepper. I do red and green ones for Christmas sometimes. Very festive, allinone type of help yourself food!

I like to stuff mine with minced Pork and Prawn, the same works with mushrooms and aubergines aka the Cantonese dish "Stuffed Three Treasures":

gallery_52657_4505_57528.jpg

Can also do stuff Tofu this way but then that'll be four treasures.... :blink:

I like to stuff mine with minced Pork and Prawn, the same works with mushrooms and aubergines aka the Cantonese dish "Stuffed Three Treasures":

gallery_52657_4505_57528.jpg

Can also do stuff Tofu this way but then that'll be four treasures....  :blink:

Looks terrific ... do you just broil or grill after stuffing (so to speak)...?

Rover

Prawncrackers - after you stuff them, what next? Steam? Fry? Bake? Can you share more details of the recipe? (Or PM me the recipe, pretty please :biggrin:)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Stuffed Three (or Four!) Treasures is classic Cantonese home cooking. The stuffing mixture is made from minced pork and prawns (Cantonese surf n turf!). You can use the cheaper cuts of pork like the belly for this dish and mince away with whichever implement you have. The prawns don’t have to be big and expensive either, just shell and smash these with the side of your cleaver like you’re swatting flies – very satisfying. For simplicity I use a 50/50 mix but there are no hard and fast rules. Season the mixture lightly with soy, sesame oil and shaosing wine. Stuff your veggies, get as much in or the stuffing will fall out.

Gently fry the treasures stuffing side down in a little oil until they are golden on that side (apprx 6-7 mins) then flip them over and fry the vegetable side. Don’t over cook the vegetables as they will go soft and the stuffing will fall out.

Alternatively, the ‘healthier’ option, my mother went through a phase of steaming hers (15-20 mins) but they weren’t as nice as the fried ones!!

Do them in batches and keep them warm on your serving plate whilst you do the sauce to smother them with….

Heat up a little oil and fry on medium heat the trinity of ginger, garlic and the white of spring onion. Add 2 tbl oyster sauce, splash soy, seasame oil, and shaosing to taste. Add a ladle or two of chicken stock (i always seem to poach a whole chicken too when I cook this dish, but water will do fine). Reduce and thicken a little with slaked cornflour then drizzle or strain over your treasures. You don’t want them to be swimming but nicely coated with the sauce. Garnish with the tops of the spring onions and coriander. Yum!!

I don't know if this is technically a "stuffed pepper", but I pre-broil the pepper halves to char them lightly (but still firm enough to hold a filling), then fill them with a mixture of spicy polenta, a little cheese, corn kernels, and chicken, and serve with a salsa topping. It's a riff on a Moosewood Collective recipe, and it hits the spot for being homey and comforting.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Chile relleno is stuffed pepper in spanish.

I made these last weekend with what I had in the fridge: large poblano peppers, ricotta cheese and fresh cheddar cheese, cilantro... and in the pantry: onion, canned tomatoes, chipotle peppers, corn flour...

Not exactly a traditional recipe but close enough... at least to my non-experienced tastebuds. I was just a bit disapointed with my batter (too stiff, not light enough).

gallery_52525_4680_362184.jpg

^^^^

They're deep fried?

How do you cook them?

1. Char the skin and peel

2. Take the seeds out and stuff them with cheese

3. Prepare a batter and dreged them in it

4. Shallow fry them in a pan

At least this is the way I have done these.