• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Fritz Blanks donation

joiei

It looks like they are going to have a great resource.

A Chef and his Library

Donation?

When was it announced that Fritz Blank was donating his collection to the University of Pennsylvania Library?

I wrote about this exhibition when it opened in the Kamin Gallery of Van Pelt-Dietrich Library at Penn:

Out and About: A cook and his books

But the space where it was mounted is used for changing exhibits. No mention was made of a permanent donation when the exhibit opened.

The Penn Library's web site maintains an extensive archive of online exhibits linked to past physical ones. The site listed above is one of these.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've had the priviledge of seeing Chef Blank's library first hand. It's impeccably catalogued and impressive in it's breadth. The University (proudly, my Alma Mater) is indeed fortunate.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As far as I know, Sandy is right: the website is left over from the 2002 exhibition. It wouldn't surprise me if, when he retires or at another suitable moment, Chef Blank donates his collection to Penn, but that hasn't happened yet.

(The exhibition, like the website, was very cool. To this day, I regret missing the opening reception, and the, um, free food...)

As far as I know, Sandy is right: the website is left over from the 2002 exhibition.  It wouldn't surprise me if, when he retires or at another suitable moment, Chef Blank donates his collection to Penn, but that hasn't happened yet.

We can only hope.

(The exhibition, like the website, was very cool.  To this day, I regret missing the opening reception, and the, um, free food...)

A rule of thumb I had when I was working on the media-relations side of Penn's communications office:

"In order to attract reporters to your event, serve food."

Those who applied the rule once I jumped over to the Current could usually be counted on to attract my attention. The food was good--and heavily German-influenced.

Isn't Deux Cheminees a French restaurant, though? (Believe it or not, I have yet to eat there and I've lived here two decades now. Same goes for Le Bec-Fin.)

We can only hope.

A rule of thumb I had when I was working on the media-relations side of Penn's communications office:

"In order to attract reporters to your event, serve food."

Those who applied the rule once I jumped over to the Current could usually be counted on to attract my attention.  The food was good--and heavily German-influenced.

Isn't Deux Cheminees a French restaurant, though?  (Believe it or not, I have yet to eat there and I've lived here two decades now.  Same goes for Le Bec-Fin.)

:laugh:

Deux Cheminees is indeed French. It's definitely a "special occasion" sort of place, but I actually liked it better than Le Bec Fin, myself. A bit less stuffy and uptight, but still with the appropriate level of sucking up and pomp and circumstance. :biggrin: The food is delicious and the atmosphere is glorious. It's like being a guest at someone's lovely manse, surrounded by antiques and artwork, with servants to tend to your every need. Very professional operation and the staff doesn't make you feel as if they're doing you a favor by being there. I found the waitstaff at LBF very snarky.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I've had the priviledge of seeing Chef Blank's library first hand. It's impeccably catalogued and impressive in it's breadth. 

Me, too. And I was just a lowly events planner coming in to check out the space for a seminar. He insisted that I sit down and share the staff meal (spicy Asian-style egg noodles and iced tea with ginger syrup) and gave me a tour of the library.

What a great guy.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Deux Cheminees is indeed French.  It's definitely a "special occasion" sort of place, but I actually liked it better than Le Bec Fin, myself.  A bit less stuffy and uptight, but still with the appropriate level of sucking up and pomp and circumstance.  :biggrin:  The food is delicious and the atmosphere is glorious.  It's like being a guest at someone's lovely manse, surrounded by antiques and artwork, with servants to tend to your every need.  Very professional operation and the staff doesn't make you feel as if they're doing you a favor by being there.  I found the waitstaff at LBF very snarky.

I will definitely have to go there on the right special occasion.

FWIW, I live just down the block from Deux Cheminees and have occasionally run into Chef Blank on the street. I also know the owners of the restaurant that opened in Deux Cheminees' former space, the Inn Philadelphia. That restaurant is a very good place to take your honey for a romantic meal, especially in good weather when their rear garden is open. Cuisine is French/New American hybrid, prices are reasonable for a fancy restaurant, atmosphere is intimate. Good piano bar, too.