• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Other Cuban Cocktails

Jason Perlow

Check out this cool cuban website:

http://www.icuban.com/food/drinks.html

Of note is the Canchanchara, which is the cuban equivalent to the brazilian  Caipirinha, the "Papa Hemingway". and the Havana Special.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 5 weeks later...

Here are the recipes:

Papa Hemingway (still served at the Floridita nightclub in Havana)

2 ounces grapefruit juice

2 ounces white rum

Juice of 1/2 lime

splashes of maraschino cherry juice

lime twist

crushed ice

Blend and serve well chilled.

CanChanChara (Cuban Caipiriniha)

Juice of 1/2 lime

3 teaspoons sugar

1 1/2 ounces white rum

Ice

Mix the lime juice with sugar and white rum. Shake well with ice and strain into a champagne glass.

Havana Special

2 ounces fresh pineapple juice

1 ounce white rum

2 ounces Maraschino cherry juice

Ice cubes

Add all ingredients to a drink shaker and shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 years later...

And also the Daquiri, frozen and not, and the Cuba Libra.

Has anyone had the El Floridita? I've seen this on the menu at a local Cuban restauratn but not had it yet. The combination sounds interesting but difficult to predict. Here's Drinkboy's recipe and a little background: click

El Floridita

1 1/2 ounces rum

1/2 ounce lime juice

1/2 ounce sweet vermouth

Splash white crème de cacao

Splash grenadine

Shake with cracked ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist. 

NOTE: The key with this drink, is to get just enough crème de cacao so that you can taste it, but not so much that it is obvious. 

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've never quite been able to figure out which mint is exactly right for the Mojito.

I think the proper variety may be Mentha nemorosa, however plants.usda.gov, suggests that is just a synonym for Mentha x villosa, a naturally occuring hybrid of Apple Mint (Mentha suaveolens) and Spearmint (Mentha spicata).

Many recipes suggest spearmint as a substitute for cuban mint.

I will note that the plant which San Francisco was originally named for is also called Yerba Buena; but, it isn't a mint at all. It is a close relative of the kitchen spice Savory and its botanic name is Satureja douglasii.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

And also the Daquiri, frozen and not, and the Cuba Libra.

Has anyone had the El Floridita?  I've seen this on the menu at a local Cuban restauratn but not had it yet.  The combination sounds interesting but difficult to predict.  Here's Drinkboy's recipe and a little background: click

El Floridita

1 1/2 ounces rum

1/2 ounce lime juice

1/2 ounce sweet vermouth

Splash white crème de cacao

Splash grenadine

Shake with cracked ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist. 

NOTE: The key with this drink, is to get just enough crème de cacao so that you can taste it, but not so much that it is obvious. 

I think the Floridita was a "mystery" drink at one of Nightscotsmans infamous cocktail parties back in his Seattle days. They're very good!

KathyM