• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puerto Rican Rum Recommendations?

Ron Del Barrelito 3 Star and 2 star. Clearly the best native Puerto Rican rums you are going to find there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Ed has commented on Barrelito elsewhere in this forum.

Barrelito is a very smooth, non-aggressive and non-smoky rum. Its one of Ed's favorites. Its made by the smallest distiller on the island. Ed prefers the 2 star while I prefer the 3, but both are excellent.

the 3 star is a blend of rums that is 6-12 years old and the 2 star is a blend of 2 to 4.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Not to be picky, but the name of the rum is "Ron del Barrilito."  It has a top-notch reputation.  I think that the most popular rum in Puerto Rico is Don Q Crystal.  Purists seem to prefer Don Q Oro (Gold).  If you have not tried either you should have your friend pick a bottle of each.  (about ů or Ű each)

Most people here won't go near Bacardi or Captain Morgan's.

I lived in San Juan for two years from '97 to '99.  You've got the best of the bunch already recommended to you.  Don Q Cristal (with an "i" not a "y" not be picky :)) is the what the natives drink for light rum and with good reason.  It is a great mixer for classic cuba libres and mojitos cubanos.  The Serralles distillery that makes it is a distant second player to Bacardi, but far and away the local favorite.  

Barrilito is absolutely the stuff for dark rum.  Great sipping just on ice.  Incredibly smooth with a honey sweetness and a hint of nutmeg, cinnamon spice in the finish.  3 star is far and away my favorite, I've got two bottles in my cabinet right now.  You should tell your friends to get a tour of the distillery while you are there, it is tiny and run by only a couple of people, much better than the Bacardi tour which is more popular with tourists.  Incidentally, I believe the Barrilito distillery is now owned by the Bacardi family empire (I could be wrong), but they have done nothing to change its handcrafted, small batch product.  This will make you forget Ron del Bacardi Anejo.  Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Barrilito is certainly worth looking for the the operation shouldn't be missed but it should be pointed out that this isn't a distillery, they buy alcohol from Bacardi and then blend and age their rums at their facility. One of the secrets of the success of both of these blends is that the rum is blended and then aged at very near the bottled strength so the taste and flavor isn't diluted prior to bottling.

As for other PR rums a bottle of Palo Viejo is also a standard among local rum drinkers. A light, clean, clear rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.