• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greenbeans .. what do you do with them?

Gifted Gourmet

I think I posted this somewhere before, but...I usually snap off the ends, parboil in (very) salty water, shock, and then heat them with a little whole-grain mustard and olive oil - the mustard will bloom in the oil and some of the seeds will pop. The mustard cuts the "grassiness" of briefly cooked string beans, and it goes with almost anything.

I have to try the long-cooked beans - I've always been a "NO MUSHY VEGETABLES" girl, but am slowly coming around to the idea that long cooking brings out flavors that nothing else can.

Sauteed in black bean sauce with chili flakes and garlic! Ideally, the sliced garlic becomes kind of crispy. Let the garlic go for a bit, then toss in the beans. Thanks, [DC Asian tapas place] Raku!

Also great: Sauteed with sweet corn with a little garlic. Also great with asparagus. Credit to mom for that one!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog