• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Cane Syrup in NYC

slkinsey

Kalusytans.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

Sam I pm'd you, but for the benefit of other pleasure seekers

Dean and DeLuca has it direct shipped from beautiful Abbeville, LA. The nice lady on the phone at the mill has a great voice.

Steens also has an interesting website. I highly reccomend ya'll try that vinegar if you can get it. It's great stuff.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

In the Cooking forum someone mentioned how different Steen's Cane is from Lyle's Golden.  how?  are they interchangeable or just two different animals altogether?

Um... I think that person was me. :smile:

Are you familiar with light and dark Karo? Lyle's is like super-awesome light Karo. It's heavier in texture, but it has a golden color (duh!) and a nice clean flavor. Steen's, on the other hand, pushes the envelope on the dark Karo side. It's dark and funky and.... well, this doesn't sound quite right, but it's a little sulphur-ey too -- but in a good way, in a good way.

--

I went to school in Abbeville where Steen's is made. Sometimes the whole town smelled so good, it had a sweetening effect on kids and made us actually behave in class! Some days our desert would be peanut butter mixed with Steen's to put on our bread. Those were the days!

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Welcome to eGullet. Always good to see another one of us around here.

"It has a sweetening effect on kids" would be a great ad slogan!

Who is that cat in your avatar? Vin Bruce?

I'm looking for some Steen's Cane Syrup.  I know I've seen it somewhere in NYC, but can't remember where.  I looked in Fairway yesterday, and didn't see any.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do you need it immediately? If you can wait until Sunday I'll bring you some; I think I have an unopened bottle somewhere. :smile:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Welcome to eGullet. Always good to see another one of us around here.

"It has a sweetening effect on kids" would be  a great ad slogan!

Who is that cat in your avatar? Vin Bruce?

That's Webb Pierce, country-western star from the 1950s, around Vin's time. I thought "Webb Pierce" was a good way of saying Internet penetration.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

Dammit! My dad loves Webb Pierce. He worked at KMLB as a DJ in Monroe after the war (I think he was from Monroe or West Monroe, my hometown). I forgot all about that guy.

Nevermind, the Country Music Hall of Fame has much more than that concerning Webb Pierce.

Now, back to food, as I am as prone as anybody to drift off topic when it comes to food. Do you still go back to Abbeville at all? There are some seriously good places to eat in Vermilion Parish . Black's and Dupuy's are two of my favorites in Abbeville. I like Landry's Boiling Pot in Kaplan as well. I get invited duck hunting in Gueydan every year ( although the last few years have been terrible for that pasttime down here-no ducks-warm winters up the flyway :angry: )

Dammit! My dad loves Webb Pierce. He worked at KMLB as a DJ in Monroe after the war (I think he was from Monroe or West Monroe, my hometown). I forgot all about that guy.

Nevermind, the Country Music Hall of Fame has much more than that concerning Webb Pierce.

Now, back to food, as I am as prone as anybody to drift off topic when it comes to food. Do you still go back to Abbeville at all? There are some seriously good places to eat in Vermilion Parish . Black's and Dupuy's are two of my favorites in Abbeville. I like Landry's Boiling Pot in Kaplan as well. I get invited duck hunting in Gueydan every year ( although the last few years have been terrible for that pasttime down here-no ducks-warm winters up the flyway :angry: )

Yeah, I am a big country-western fan, especially the stuff pre-dating the countrypolitan movement.

I go back home at least once a year to visit family. You're right about the food down there! We cover it pretty well in your forum on Louisiana.

Not familiar with Landry's in Kaplan. I'll have to try it out. Sound's like Richard's Patio in Abbeville.

If you go south of Kaplan there's a place called Suire's Grocery that has great lunches like turtle sauce piquante, fried catfish, etc. It was mentioned in a New York Times last year, along with Black's and Dupuy's and a bunch of others.

Sorry if this is off-topic for the NY forum!

Scorpio