• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF cooking classes

JAZ

As Marlena mentioned and Squeat reported, the Chronicle's cooking classes are now going to be held at the Ferry Building (click here for article).

The classes are reasonably priced and sound interesting. But I'm curious about how well they'll do. I have heard that the original slate of Chronicle classes weren't very well attended. Frankly, I'm not surprised -- and this has nothing to do with the quality of the classes they offer, by any means.

It's just that, well, San Francisco, for all its food oriented citizens, doesn't seen to the the most successful place for cooking classes. The Maiden Lane Sur La Table, where I work, has suspended its regular cooking classes in favor of private team buildings and other private classes/parties. Those are wildly popular. But the regular classes? Unless it was a Hubert Keller or a Jacques Torres teaching, it was hit or miss whether we'd even get enough students to hold the class.

Honestly, we could never figure out why. It's a "foodie" town. Lots of classes on lots of topics in venues all over the Bay Area, taught by a wide variety of instructors -- was it too much competition?

And how important is venue? Will the Chronicle classes be more successful in the Ferry Building? I know the SLT classes that involved shopping tours were always among the most popular -- maybe that will prove to be a key.

What do you all think?

Good question. I think it's a combination of the factors you mentioned.

Personally, I've had trouble choosing from the many classes available. Also, I have only a very limited amount of expendable income for that kind of thing, and when it has come down to it, travel and dining opportunities have often trumped out.

I predict that the Chronicle classes will be more successful in the Ferry Building due not only to the attractions of the location, but also simply to better exposure. I think many people are not even aware that the Chron offers the classes. I know I wasn't until a few months ago, and I read the food section! (Okay, admittedly I read it more thoroughly now that I'm doing the digest, but still.)

I agree that shopping for fresh ingredients is an attractive feature in a class, at least to me. I'm planning a vacation to Oaxaca in November and am trying to choose from several cooking classes offered there. It seems that all of them start with a trip to the market in the zocalo, the central town square, which makes them all the more interesting, I think.

I'd also like to hear from people in the Bay Area who have participated in cooking classes of all kinds. I think we'd all like to know about your experiences, and get your opinions and recommendations.

Cheers,

Squeat

I think I've been to a lot of so-so classes and it would really need to be something special to get me to go. Some of them are glorified book signings and some are so vague ("experience the season's bounty!") that I'd rather read a book by myself.

I'm not willing to spend my money and waste my time just to get an autograph or have some one suggest I buy seasonal fruits and vegetables!

I've been to classes at Ramekins and they're all over the map. A lot of people are there to socialize and some are there to learn but if it's a hands-on workshop, you can get stuck peeling peppers or some mundane task for the entire class and never learn anyting more than the fact that next time you need to be pickier about the classes you take.

I have had good classes at Ramekins. Tante Marie was a joke the time I went. Copia, surprisingly, was an excellent demo.

Do I sound grumpy?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I have been to one cooking class, at Sur La Table in Los Gatos, with chef David Kinch. Stephanie (eGulleteer who works at SLT, and who assisted in the class) said he's the best teacher she's worked with, in six-plus years of teaching there.

I would love to do more classes, but I'm wary...I need good, organized teachers. I might have been spoiled.

The Saturday morning Cabrillo College farmers market is going to be offering "Shop with the Chef" classes via the Culinary Alliance of SC County...a tour of the market, buy some ingredients, then go to a staging area and learn how to cook with the things you've bought. I think those will be great.

Oh, and I don't know if this counts, but I accompanied my little girl to an all-day cooking class series at Gayle's Bakery and Rosticceria several years ago. Joe Ortiz is a fabulous teacher, and he brought in Marion Cunningham to teach the kids how to make a vinaigrette salad dressing. That was a great way to spend a day...and I'm happy to report that my daughter started working at Gayle's this week. How's that for a great first job?

The Chronicle's list of classes sound appealing, and I am very tempted to drive up from Santa Cruz for a November class with Marlena Spieler. I think the Ferry Building site will draw more participants.

Roz

Maybe we can carpool. I'd be tempted, too. But don't have a clue where I'll be then.

My classes always sold out and had a waiting list. so, tana and roz, come and do one of my next ones, I 'll try to make it worth your while.

to be honest they are less class and more out of control food extravaganzas with lots of ideas and hopefully inspiration, lottsa food, and as many laughs as we could crank out. OH, and did i forget to mention technique?

haven't see the progress of the new space yet, but it is a great venue.........and the woman who is directing the programme, thy tran, is terrific.

x marlena

And how important is venue? Will the Chronicle classes be more successful in the Ferry Building? I know the SLT classes that involved shopping tours were always among the most popular -- maybe that will prove to be a key.

What do you all think?

[

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I'm not surprised Marlena's classes sold out, just on name recognition alone. I've never taken a cooking class before but I considered taking one of her (your) classes just because of how much I enjoy the columns. Ultimately I decided not to do it because the classes are demonstration classes, I'm not sure how much I can learn from just watching.

But what puts me off cooking classes is that most of them are dish oriented, they teach you how to cook a number of specific dishes. I can do that by looking at a cookbook. What I would appreciate more are general classes that taught general cooking techniques and tricks. Braising 101, Sauteeing 102, that type of thing.

BTW, I'm new to this board, this is my first posting. I live in the Bay Area, I like to cook and I'm an accomplished recipe-follower but not a creative cook per se :)

But what puts me off cooking classes is that most of them are dish oriented, they teach you how to cook a number of specific dishes.  I can do that by looking at a cookbook.  What I would appreciate more are general classes that taught general cooking techniques and tricks.  Braising 101, Sauteeing 102, that type of thing.

BTW, I'm new to this board, this is my first posting.  I live in the Bay Area, I like to cook and I'm an accomplished recipe-follower but not a creative cook per se :)

Welcome to eGullet :smile:. I agree with ya on the dish-oriented cooking classes, but I think for a Braising 101 type class the venue options are far more limited, it would have to be done in smaller groups and likely would need to be in an environment where small groups each have access to a range for some hands on work. The eGCI classes here on eGullet are as close as I've found to a workable solution for a large group to learn cooking fundamentals.

dear tana and roz:

not so sure of schedule myself but i think it goes something like this: 23rd october is back to bistro. i wanted to do this class as i spend so much time in parisian bistros and there is always something new being cooked, always a little twist on tradition, things like spices and world ingredients slipped into traditional french bistro techniques, so i just love bringing this authentic taste to my classes.

the next one i think a week later, on cooking from the farmers market. we'll shlep around, talk to the farmers talk about what we see and cook what we buy.

and the third one which is sometime around nov 13 is......oh a week in greece. i'm so into greek food this summer after spending time on an island with villagers (i used to live in greece anyhow so it was rediscovering so many things) that i'm really into greek flavours. i think we'll do things like.....i'm not sure, but i want to cover lots of ideas and inspiration. we'll be awash in olive oil of course.

and dear comilona,

I'm so pleased you enjoy my column! good point about the classes being dish oriented, but what we must remember is that every dish has a technique, and a good teacher will present this technique in such a way that you'll leave feeling that you can take the technique you learned into a wide variety of dishes.

when they asked if i wanted to do demonstration or hands on classes i always answer demonstration, mainly because more people can come and i figure that what i do is less about specific techniques and more about inspiration of ideas that i gather from all over the place (and every time i find something exciting, i'm in as much of a hurry to put it in my column, and/or bring it to my class!).

the new director of the school, thy tran is really good and will be responsive i am sure to suggestions from readers/students, so please do email her or myself and i'll pass it along.

its interesting to have a venue for food writers to also teach what they write about. its different from other cooking schools i think. for one thing we're not plugging any books, in fact i don't think we're allowed to. i wouldn't anyhow as its not a book plugging venue. places such as shops get cheap or free demonstrations and classes as teachers are plugging books and doing "the tour" to promote books. which is good too. and by the way did i mention my new grilled cheese book?

anyhow, olivia wu is one of the best cooks and food writers i know. she is very knowledgable, and her food sings with flavour, so i'd really recommend her. thy is full of great techniques, even wrote an award winning book on technique and though i haven't seen her teach, i'm hung out in france with her, so i'd recommend seeing what she's up to. i'd expect it to be good. she has lots of good ideas. Tara has a small child and a busy career and is a devoted and excellent cook, so for practicality she is your gal! lets see, jackie higuera mcmahan is lovely and full of enthusiasim for her great mexican flavours, flo braker is the best baking teacher i know (with the exception of rose levy barenbaum who's not teaching there.....) so for baking sign up with her. and i'm not sure who else is teaching........but everyone has something different to offer and everyone is primarily a food writer so really full of information to impart!

the website for chronicle is sfgate.com and the classes should be listed there somewhere. i keep meaning to get the dates and sched for mine put on to my website and haven't yet. sorry........

anyhow, back to sleep. anyone ever wake up at five in the morning ready to tap tap tap on the computer and the rest of the world is sleeping and you don't have to be up until eight? thats me this morning. oh for a few more sweet hours.........

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Folks,

I'm looking forward to the Chronicle classes. I did Sur Le Table when they had classes in San Francisco, and was really disappointed when the closed. I ended up missing a lot of cancelled classes because of lack of attendance.

I think the problem with cooking classes in the City is that people don't have time, rather than a lack of desire or too much competition. Also, the drop in attendence, and Surly's decision to close, came in 2001 -- I think a lot of people stopped going because they'd lost their jobs.

I, too, would like to see more "technique" classes; I did fish prep twice at Sur Le Table (once with Jay Harlow and once with Hugh Carpenter) and learned a lot which I'm still using. I don't want the Viking classes, which are too basic, or Tante Marie, which is too expensive.

The Fuzzy Chef

www.fuzzychef.org

Think globally, eat globally

San Francisco