• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andrew Edmunds on Lexington Street

Hallie

I went there a couple of years ago on a night when no restaurant would be at its best - I can't remember the date but it was one of those days between Xmas and NYE when public holidays and bank holidays must have made it a nightmare to get fresh ingredients, and when I imagine many of the staff would rather have been at home. Despite that, we had a great meal, felt very warmly welcomed and liked the fact the menu majored on sensible food (a lot of hearty dishes, with many relying on storecupboard or preserved stuff that would have survived the Xmas hiatus well, rather than trying to do fresh food with inferior ingredients and failing). Jon is right - it is very romantic, and would probably be a good choice for a birthday too. I haven't been back but only because whenever I've tried to drop by it's been fully booked: deservedly I guess.

i'm never sure why people say this place is romantic. I just remember the tables being very close together.

But i agree with Stigand on the food; generally sort of high end gastro pub stuff, good ingrediants, seasonal. It's always on my list for Soho.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

fabulous place, one of my favourites.

upstairs very romantic, downstairs less so.

simple, good value fare with excellent value wine.

a great, great 'easy' option in soho.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Its quite cosy. I get my haircut (when in London) on Silver Place, so it's quite convienent.

Food is decent and I believe the basement is airconditioned.

It gets really loud, so I would suggest not going for a romantic meal.

Ditto for cigar smoking, they allow it, so it can get nasty inside.

I noticed that there is another little bistro that opened up across the street a few doors up towards regent street. I'll check it out on my way through on Sept. 12.

lala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

As promised, my experiences at Andrew Edmunds:

In a nutshell: good. Its the type of place that I would categorise as serving reliable, interesting food for a reasonable price. Someone in one of the posts above mentioned that it was essentially gastro-pub grub - a very good description. In terms of food and atmosphere the entire place is like a gastro-pub, just minus the pub.

The atmosphere was quite buzzing and cosy, though I think the intimacy of the place would make it a more suitable venue for a cold winter's evening.

I had carpaccio to start. I must say that perhaps this wasn't the best place to order carpaccio. I've had much better. The beef was a bit too thickly sliced and not hugely flavourful. However, my main course; smoked haddock with a poached egg and hollandaise on wild rice was very nice and very filling. I will be recreating this dish at home.

Others at the table had duck confit and daube of beef. I think most people rated similarly.

I wouldn't go out of my way to rush back but would probably visit again. I'll chalk this one up as a good stand-by.

I think it a lovely place as long as you're upstairs (downstairs has no atmosphere and they pack you in). Best bet for is a table near the door in the evening. The wines are interesting and can throw up some bargains.