• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dill Pickles

lisabobd

These Spicy Dill Pickles were suggested by someone else here on eg (can't remember who). They're easy and taste fabulous. The only problem is that they need to cure for 10 days. Waiting that long can be tough. :laugh:

I have a batch curing in my fridge as we speak.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

They don't get any easier (or better) than Brooksie's Dill Pickles-Located conveniently in RecipeGullet.

You can make the brine a gallon at a time which is really convenient if yo are pulling cukes from a garden and making a few jars everyday.

Pickles do not get any better than this. The photo attached to this piece in the Daily Gullet is of a group of boys (2 are mine) who made a photo and emailed it to my Mom as they were so bummed out that the pickle pantry had run dry. Pickles were immediatly shipped. Grandmothers are real softies for hungry boys.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Brooks, your method is the one employed by my late, great and wonderful grandmother Iona, although she omitted the hot pepper (that Nebraska thing).

If anyone is interested, PM me for a couple of recipes where you just add fresh cukes to a crock daily for a few days until ready to go. Advantage of this is when you don't have enough cukes to justify a batch of pickles in one day.

The big thing with pickles is to make sure your cukes are as fresh as possible. If you can't attend to them immediately after picking, ice them down.

Much as I like pickles from cukes, the green beans are the ones that really make me weak at the knees (to quote Iona).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Brooks, your method is the one employed by my late, great and wonderful grandmother Iona, although she omitted the hot pepper (that Nebraska thing).

If anyone is interested, PM me for a couple of recipes where you just add fresh cukes to a crock daily for a few days until ready to go. Advantage of this is when you don't have enough cukes to justify a batch of pickles in one day.

The big thing with pickles is to make sure your cukes are as fresh as possible. If you can't attend to them immediately after picking, ice them down.

Much as I like pickles from cukes, the green beans are the ones that really make me weak at the knees (to quote Iona).

I'd love any recipes for pickles (cukes or otherwise)

But, what's this about Nebraskans not liking spicy things? :grin:

-jared

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

These Spicy Dill Pickles were suggested by someone else here on eg (can't remember who). They're easy and taste fabulous. The only problem is that they need to cure for 10 days. Waiting that long can be tough. :laugh:

I have a batch curing in my fridge as we speak.

Me Me Me!!! :smile:

Time to hit the Farmers Market for some Kirbys. These are the easiest pickle in the world to make and everyone loves them.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.