• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Wonderful ideas, everyone. So far on my "to-do" list are jam (natch), syrup, sauce, infused vodka (love that one), and freezing whole for later use. Unfortunately there are no cellars, cool or otherwise, in this part of México, so raspberry wine is probably impossible, even if I knew how to make it (which I don't). I'm also interested in dehydrating them--raspberry raisins! I brought my dehydrator for some reason, probably thinking I'd use it for something, and this sounds like the perfect time to dig it out of the storage closet.

I've found some interesting non-sweet recipes on the Internet that I want to try. It appears that raspberries and goat cheese are going to have a great future ahead in our house, and I'm going to try a raspberry glaze on chicken breasts. I think I'll just make that one up as I go along, tasting and adding levels of flavor. If I come up with something good I'll be sure to post it. In the meantime I'm going to make a big bowl of fruit--raspberries, blackberries, mango, pineapple--for breakfast, with yogurt and granola.

To complicate things further, my husband and I bought another 2.6 kilos yesterday,  most of which will go into the jam I'm going to make tonight. At least now I have enough to experiment with, and the growers indicate that the supply is ample. There were numerous flats of raspberries and blackberries, and piles of strawberries, with little chicks running around eating the fruit that fell on the floor. In the past year or less, acres of hoop houses have sprung up like mushrooms and this is the result. I doubt this is a Driscoll enterprise, though I don' t know to whom they are selling all this fruit.

It's not often that I get the chance to play with an ingredient and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it! Thanks, everyone, for your good suggestions. I won't torment you with the actual cost, though.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Wonderful ideas, everyone. So far on my "to-do" list are jam (natch), syrup, sauce, infused vodka (love that one), and freezing whole for later use. Unfortunately there are no cellars, cool or otherwise, in this part of México, so raspberry wine is probably impossible, even if I knew how to make it (which I don't). I'm also interested in dehydrating them--raspberry raisins! I brought my dehydrator for some reason, probably thinking I'd use it for something, and this sounds like the perfect time to dig it out of the storage closet.

I've found some interesting non-sweet recipes on the Internet that I want to try. It appears that raspberries and goat cheese are going to have a great future ahead in our house, and I'm going to try a raspberry glaze on chicken breasts. I think I'll just make that one up as I go along, tasting and adding levels of flavor. If I come up with something good I'll be sure to post it. In the meantime I'm going to make a big bowl of fruit--raspberries, blackberries, mango, pineapple--for breakfast, with yogurt and granola.

To complicate things further, my husband and I bought another 2.6 kilos yesterday,  most of which will go into the jam I'm going to make tonight. At least now I have enough to experiment with, and the growers indicate that the supply is ample. There were numerous flats of raspberries and blackberries, and piles of strawberries, with little chicks running around eating the fruit that fell on the floor. In the past year or less, acres of hoop houses have sprung up like mushrooms and this is the result. I doubt this is a Driscoll enterprise, though I don' t know to whom they are selling all this fruit.

It's not often that I get the chance to play with an ingredient and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it! Thanks, everyone, for your good suggestions. I won' torment you with the actual cost, though.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

To complicate things further, my husband and I bought another 2.6 kilos yesterday. At least now I have enough to experiment with, and the growers indicate that the supply is ample. There were numerous flats of raspberries and blackberries, and piles of strawberries, with little chicks running around eating the fruit that fell on the floor. In the past year or less, acres of hoop houses have sprung up like mushrooms and this is the result. I doubt this is a Driscoll enterprise, though I don' t know to whom they are selling all this fruit.

It's not often that I get the chance to play with an ingredient and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it! Thanks, everyone, for your good suggestions.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro