• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Cruset Bistro Pan?

Richard Kilgore

Does anyone have one of these pans? They are shallow and wide, about 12"X 2 3/4", with hand grips rather than a long handle. What do you use it for? Braising primarily? Do you consider it worth cluttering up the cabinets, or is it redundant given skillets and saute pans and dutch (french) ovens?

It is the same design as the buffet casserole with a flatter lid. You can use it for a casserole. You can roast a chicken on it. It makes a good paella pan.

It is not part of the standard Le Creuset product line. I have never seen one in the Le Creuset store. I probably would not buy it unless the price was too cheap to pass up.

I was once diagnosed with a split personality but we are all okay now.

I would imagin that it would be good for cooking bean dishes in the oven - something like butter beans cooked with garlic, chorizo and lots of olivbe oil.

But on saying that, the authentic earthenware apanish pot (The name of which I can't remember) would be better, and cheaper.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Probably looks nice on the table though - and if you want an entire le Creuset collection....

Incidently yhe cookshop near me is currently selling some bargain priced le creuset items - I think they are trying to entice people into the range - a decent sized casserole for around £40 I think, and a small roasting tray (Just the thing for roasting tomatoes or preparing an individual gratin I would think) for under a tenner. I'm going to get one of those tomorrow.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I would imagin that it would be good for cooking bean dishes in the oven - something like butter beans cooked with garlic, chorizo and lots of olivbe oil.

But on saying that, the authentic earthenware apanish pot (The name of which I can't remember) would be better, and cheaper.

That would be a cazuela.

And I meant spanish. not apanish!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Incidently yhe cookshop near me is currently selling some bargain priced le creuset items - I think they are trying to entice people into the range - a decent sized casserole for around £40 I think, and a small roasting tray (Just the thing for roasting tomatoes or preparing an individual gratin I would think) for under a tenner. I'm going to get one of those tomorrow.

If the gratin is one of these, grab it. (Not an eGullet friendly link.) This is the cast iron gratin pan. I got one on the recommendation of Jeffrey Steingarten in his dissertation on potatoes dauphinois. He is right. The cast iron gratins are superior. I also have four of the individual sizes. I use those a lot as well.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Carlovski -- the one in your link is stoneware made in China, not enameled cast iron made in France. They are rather inexpensive all the time, but if considering something other than the cast iron, I prefer the Emile Henry earthenware, which is better looking and more durable (freezer directly to oven), and only a little more expensive than the Le Cruset stoneware.

Richard, what you are describing is what I would call a "low casserole." This is essentially a saute pan body with two small loop handles instead of one long handle.

My gut feeling is that a low casserole isn't really all that useful. I have one, and it's the least-used pan in my battery. More to the point, however, I can't think of any reason why enameled cast iron is an advantageous material to use in this kind of pan.

--

Carlovski -- the one in your link is stoneware made in China, not enameled cast iron made in France. They are rather inexpensive all the time, but if considering something other than the cast iron, I prefer the Emile Henry earthenware, which is better looking and more durable (freezer directly to oven), and only a little more expensive than the Le Cruset stoneware.

So it is!

I'm pretty sure the one I saw IS cast iron - just in a similar shape to that one. Although I could be wrong.

I'll come back with an update.

I love animals.

They are delicious.