• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Yellow Romano Beans

Rover

Bought fresh at the farmers' market on Saturday; can't seem to locate a recipe for them. The Zuni Cafe book had a green romano bean recipe which advised not to use the yellows... so, I'm stumped. Any suggestions, please?

Thanks

Rover

I picked up some of the yellow beans myself at the local farmers market Saturday though I don't know if they are Romano. I'm in the same boat hoping to see a few different recipes for yellow beans.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Right about now is when some New Jersey Italians should weigh in, because that's who was hammering the guys at Happy Boy Farms at the Santa Cruz farmers market last month. "Are these REAL Romanos? Because I know what a real one is, and I haven't had one yet that was the real thing."

What recipes do you need? Toss in a pan with some sautéed tomatoes and basil, or tarragon. They're so good.

Why not use the yellows?

I wish a chef would weigh in here.

Maybe those Italian guys know a thing or two. They may be looking for the pole bean variety, whereas the bush version is more commonly grown here, at least to my knowledge. Pole beans are said to have better taste, though I can't personally corroborate that, because so far, I have stuck with bush beans.

From what I understand, Italians grow the pole variety due to the better taste and higher, sustained yield. Also, their growing climate, soil, etc might have something to do with taste, as it does with the famed San Marzano tomatoes.

As for the Zuni Cafe recipe admonition, I'm clueless.

--I read some recipe for long cooked romanos. I think they may need to be treated differently than regular green beans, but someone else should chime in here with a recipe or two shortly.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

The Zuni recipe is "Long-Cooked Romano Beans". Calls for olive oil, chili flakes, garlic and the beans. Toss with the oil in a pot, cover and cook over low heat for up to two hours until "tender, limp, with a rich concentrated flavour".

Certainly an interesting treatment for fresh beans! Alternate bean choices were mature Blue Lake or Kentucky Wonder.

I'm intrigued by the recipe, though ... it's turned cool and rainy in Vancouver.

Rover

I grow the Italian pole variety (super marconi) of green romanos and they are great. They are better than the bush types--longer, sweeter, they stay tender and sweet at a larger size.

I am not familiar with yellow romanos, although I'd be surprised if they were a lot different, however yellow wax beans are quite a bit different from green beans so who knows? And Judy Rogers of Zuni certainly knows her stuff, so who am I to dispute.

IMHO, romanos can be quick cooked like any good fresh bean, but are also uniquely suitable for slow cooking like in the Zuni recipe which I've made and is delicious, although I don't think I cooked them quite as long as she recommends. I just cooked some southern indian style last weekend with spices and fresh grated coconut--they were wonderful. Tonight I think I'll roast them in EVOO with garlic, salt and redpepper flakes.

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

I grew the yellow pole romanos and wrote a post about it but wasn't logged in. Apparently my post was saved, but I don't know how to get it back.

Bottom line: use like any other bean. Young beans, use pod and all, old ones shell.

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue