• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a good liquor store in Seattle?

We have a really inferior liquor store here on Bainbridge. I'm out of stuff like Armagnac, Calvados, Grappa, Pastis, and Cachaca. Where would you go to get the broadest selection of exotica possible?

Ok, I don't use Cachaca in cooking.

Have you ever tried the product search feature on the Washington State Liquor Control Board site? Very useful. As far as specific locations, I know there at least used to be a downtown store that seemed a little more upscale and carried more interesting items.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks, tighe, I do know about product search (I think I actually learned about it here, maybe from you), but I was wondering if someone just knows of a good store to get everything I want. Just being lazy, I guess. It always amazes me how hard it is to find good liquor in this state, compared to other places I've lived.

The one by Safeco Field is probably the biggest in Seattle. It think it's on 6th - or is that 4th?

By the way, I used to think that Washington State Liquor Stores had a small selection and high prices, but believe it or not they completely blow away all the liquor stores here in Vegas. Yeah, you can get the hard stuff in grocery stores, but the selection is crappy and not really cheap.

Of course NOTHING can compare to Sam's in Chicago. :wub:

4th, a block or so south of Filson's (and on the other side of the street) it's easy to miss.

They do, indeed, have a fine and broad selection: 3 or 4 different Cachacas last time I looked, for instance.... and a nice collection of bourbons.

They supply many of the restaurants.

12th Ave on Capitol Hill isn't too bad, and I've heard that when they open the new one to replace the Broadway Market location, it will be pretty comprehensive.

Cin Chin

cg

"...plant a tree for Cesar"

--M.F.K. Fisher

4th, a block or so south of Filson's (and on the other side of the street) it's easy to miss.

They do, indeed, have a fine and broad selection: 3 or 4 different Cachacas last time I looked, for instance.... and a nice collection of bourbons.

They supply many of the restaurants.

Is this the place that has a big "Wholesale Liquor" on the side of the building?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

If you go to your local liquor store and they don't have what you want, they will usually offer to look it up in their inventory system and let you know which stores have what you need and call ahead and hold it for you. But other than that, yeah get thee downtown. I hope that Costco's antitrust case against the state succeeds, I know it's focused on wine but I can't wait to see what happens if Costco gets into the liquor biz and has a liquor section as good as it's wine section.

Rocky

The downtown one (on 6th is it?) has a pretty nice selection. I was just at the UVillage shop last night and it had a pretty decent selection as well.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

The downtown one (on 6th is it?) has a pretty nice selection. I was just at the UVillage shop last night and it had a pretty decent selection as well.

It's on 6th and University. I consider this my liquor store - since it's across the street from my office :biggrin: They do have a good selection but I still find myself needing to go to the one on 4th for some things.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting