• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Laksa - Wild man of Borneo

Laksa

Does the beetroot taste the same as here?

misgabi, take your beetroot and soak it in water for a month and you'll have something similar to what I got out of that can. :wink:

OK, so what do Australians call tomato sauce?

Australian pasta sauce recipes I've seen tend to specify tomato paste and canned tomatoes or tomato puree rather than what Americans call tomato sauce.

I wanted to say tomato sauce here = tomato puree in Oz but then tomato puree is really an ingredient in tomato sauce. Maybe there is no such thing as American tomato sauce there?

smallword, I can see your question keeping me entertained for hours.

Ok, I'm gonna say "spaghetti sauce", and barring post edits, that's my final answer, Regis.

Well, Laksa, if I wasn't out of the Macallan 12, I'd lift a toast to yer blog. Oh, wait, I'll do that anyway!

Please, take my bottle and help yerself.

To Everyone:

Thank you for your kind words.

If you've read the blog until this post, you have shown great fortitude putting up with my silliness and irreverence, and my foolish fascination with melodrama.

Wild Man and Miss C this was certainly a Wild Ride!!

I made a variation on your pepper corn crusted steak last night, and it was fabulous. I even took to heart (pun intended) the butter and then more butter instructions.!! :biggrin:

Many thanks for a fun week!!

Wild Man and Miss C this was certainly a Wild Ride!!

I made a variation on your pepper corn crusted steak last night, and it was fabulous. I even took to heart (pun intended) the butter and then more butter instructions.!!  :biggrin:

Many thanks for a fun week!!

Thank you for riding along!

I cannot wait any longer for the next blogger.

Ending my blog feels like going cold turkey after smoking crack non-stop for a week (I imagine). I need to get my fix from the next blogger. :wacko: Where is she!?!

Laksa, it was a pleasure to be exposed to a cuisine I've never experienced before! Wonderful job.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Looking forward to seeing what an Aussie burger looks like when constructed in the states. (Will yours have a pineapple ring?)

Do you miss much about Australia now that you live over there - the Laksa for instance??

misgabi, you know what I forgot to put on that burger? Bacon. We got a can of pineapple rings but I decided against using it. When I was in Melbourne I had always requested that they leave out the pineapple. It's for the same reason I never liked Hawaiian pizza. :biggrin:

Now that I think about it, I do miss the Laksa. In NYC, the only laksa that I've found is in the Penang style, which is incredibly sour and has sardines in it -- not something I'm very fond of. Although not Sarawak laksa, I could always get curry laksa or laksa lemak in Malaysian restaurants in Melbourne.

Do you get to eat much laksa where you are?

Thanks for a really fun blog, Laksa and Ms. Congee. Next time I go over to our Asian supermarket I'll look for some of the products you pictured. I don't think we have a lot of Malaysian stuff here, but we do have the very popular Malay Satay Hut, so there's gotta be some.

You can get belecan to make sambal belecan at Uwajimaya, and almost all of the other ingredients that came up in this thread (except the Sarawak laksa curry paste) at the Vietnamese owned stores in the ID.

Happy cooking

trillium

You can get belecan to make sambal belecan at Uwajimaya, and almost all of the other ingredients that came up in this thread (except the Sarawak laksa curry paste) at the Vietnamese owned stores in the ID.

I don't mean to doubt you trillium, not at all, so don't take this the wrong way. But will those stores have canned tuna for my Tuna Mornay? :wink::laugh:

I don't mean to doubt you trillium, not at all, so don't take this the wrong way. But will those stores have canned tuna for my Tuna Mornay? :wink::laugh:

Well, that's such an exotic ingredient I'm not sure that you'll be able to find it, but you can find canned mackeral, sardines, "anchovies", and dace so maybe she'll just have to make a substitute! Mackeral Mornay has a certain ring to it, no?

regards,

trillium

As a relatively new member of the egullet community, (I have lurked for awhile) I have to say how much I have enjoyed the last blogs that I have followed!! It has been inspiring to say the least and I have learned a great deal of stuff that I didnt even know I didnt know :raz: ! The one thing that I am feeling I am missing in several of the blogs, however, are photos of the authors. I would love to have a visual of who the creators of these wonderful meals are. Howsabout it Laksa and Mrs. Congeeniality, can we pleeese see you????? :smile::wink::unsure::laugh:

The one thing that I am feeling I am missing in several of the blogs, however, are photos of the authors.  I would love to have a visual of who the creators of these wonderful meals are.  Howsabout it Laksa and Mrs. Congeeniality, can we pleeese see you????? :smile:  :wink:  :unsure:  :laugh:

Hi Greatbigsea, welcome to eGullet!

Well, this is all I'm gonna say....if you really look hard enough and are inclined to do so, you'll find photos of some of the blogs authors, including the debonair Mr. Laksa & the very, very lovely Ms. Congee.

That's it, I'm outta here.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Howsabout it Laksa and Mrs. Congeeniality, can we pleeese see you????? :smile:  :wink:  :unsure:  :laugh:

Sure, it's cool. :cool: What we look like is no secret. Yetty is right, there is a picture of us around somewhere, but it's not the easiest thing to find. Why don't I give you the link?

Here we are, enjoying a meal we prepared last week. Can you tell who's who?

Yetty: debonair? Are you sure you were looking at a picture of me? :biggrin:

Edited to add: Here I am, eating again. I think I've gained a few pounds since the blog started.

Edited by Laksa (log)