• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The dining at Harrison Hot Springs

Scargo

I am treating a young relative and his wife to a trip to Harrison Hot Springs. He is dying of cancer.

I want this to be a memorable experience. Money is not a big object. Where would you recommend dining if you spend three days there? They will stay at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort. Type of cuisine is irrelevant.

Thanks!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

Harrison Pizza, they are open the latest of anything. I like the pink diner for breakfast, it is the last restaurant before the hotel on the main strip. Have a nice snack in the hotel lounge. There is of course the Copper Room at the Hotel. Also, a long running french restaurant in town, can't remeber the name, one of the owners passed away last year so I don't know what is going on there. I've never found Harrison to be a culinary hot spot but maybe I don't know where to look. I say focus on the hot springs and spa aspect.

Scargo,

There are a number of casual dining opportunities available in HHS and area, and a few that are more elevated.

The best all-round dining experience is at Rustica at 310 Hot Springs Road, a short and pleasant walk from the hotel. It's in charming premises (the oid Cote d'Azur) and is consistently good without breaking the bank.

For lunch, I recommend a 15-minute drive to Rownena's Inn on the River in nearby Harrison Mills. The River's Edge Restaurant at the Sandpiper Golf Course (it's owned by Rowena's) is a very pleasant place to have a casual bite on the banks of the river. Lovely walk along the bank as well. We understand that Rowena's has a new chef, and that would provide a dinner opportunity but considerably more expensive. Either way, have your realtive take a peek inside the inn--it's charming in a Bob Newhart kind of way and the salon has two concert grand pianos.

Back in HHS, the Black Forest has dependable if somewhat hefty German food. Charlie's on the Lake is fine for a drink and view but the food is not recommended.

No visit to Harrison Hot Springs is complete without a visit to The Copper Room which is located within the resort. It's a retro supper club experience--prime rib and fish dishes, but well-prepared, followed by dancing to the fabulous Jones Boys who cover every get-up-and-dance hit from Elvis forward. We love it.

My brother is an executive with the HHS Resort, and would be pleased to enhance your relative's visit and dining experiences. Please send me a private message via this site, including the name of the party and dates, and I'll relay his contact information to you.

Kind regards,

Jamie

If you

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The long running French restautant was the Cote d'Azur. I think the owner who passed away was Eddie Cordes. I know his son Larry. I am not sure if it is still operating ( read Jamie Maw's post - it is running as Rustica ) - I think the wife might have leased it off to someone else to run.

Nei

l

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

My hat goes off to the fine folks in the Vancouver area at egullet for their responses!

I am very pleased to get the great advice and the terriffic offer from Jamie Maw at Vancouver Magazine through his brother at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort.

I hope I can return the favor. I am a native Texan, and we are known for our hospitality. I think I have found a new yardstick. :) You people are great!

I have passed the info along to my relative and he and his wife are excited about the prospects of a getaway. They already have reservations in the Copper Room to eat and see the Jones Boys.

PS: I hear the new East Tower suites with a balcony view of the lake and huge soaker tubs in the rooms is the hot ticket.

Thanks again!

Scargo

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

I don't think I can swing the U-haul full of brisket right now but I can share my dry rub recipe and then you too, can cook like a Texan. Follow the directions and cook the brisket very slowly. Don't cut off too much (or all of the) fat until it is cooked. I don't think Texas allows Shiner Bock to go out of state. I think it is a law that applies to Texas treasures. If you want to come to Connecticut I will fire up the grill and serve it up! Massachusetts, Hew Hampshire and Vermont have some excellent beers (we can get in CT) that approach Shiner Bock. :) If you ant my perfected, Texas chili recipe, just ask...

Scargo's exceptional BBQ Rub

Recipe By : Scargo

Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:20

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 Tablespoons Salt

1/2 Teaspoon ground cloves

1 cup Brown Sugar

2 Tbs Ground Cumin

2 Tbs Chili Powder

2 Tbs Black Pepper

1 Tablespoon Hungarian Sweet Paprika

2 Tablespoons Hungarian Hot Paprika

2 Tbs Granulated Garlic

1 tablespoon ground white pepper

1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS, or for specific use:

lemon zest (powder/granules) or

lemon-pepper seasoning instead of pepper: good option for pork/chicken

2 tablespoons onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

3 tablespoons hickory flavored salt-instead of regular salt

dry, mesquite flavored seasoning

2 teaspoons dry mustard

1 teaspoon nutmeg

2 teaspoons sage (chicken/pork)

Mix well and sift, taking care not to breathe pepper dust. Do this under

the vent hood!

Coat and rub well into meat before grilling, smoking, baking, etc.

The longer it's on the meat before cooking the better the flavor will

be.

If you want to add wet rub or cooking sauce (like Woody's or Stubb's) to your meat, do this in the very last stage of cooking so it does not get charred or

burn. You could do this in the oven with it covered in foil, etc. I perfer a dryer meat with some texture, not when it has turned to mush (as in pre-boiled). I also like a sauce like Stubbs cut a little with a good vinegar so it is not too sweet and dip the meat into it as you eat it or spoon it over it when sliced and served.

Description:

"General Purpose BBQ Rub" Yield: "3 cups"

Per Serving: 42 Calories; trace Fat (8.3%

calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0 mg

Cholesterol; 652 mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Avoid breathing the dust as you mix the ingredients. I

recommend working under a vent-hood. All ingredients must

be dry as this is something you normally make and use

several times before it is all used up. Keep dry and

sealed. Will fit in a quart jar. I tried and found that

three tablespoons of salt was a little too much for my

taste. An alternative to lemon/pepper for Chicken: brush

on lemon juice towards end of cooking. Add sage with pork

and/or chicken for an earthier flavor.

Scargo,

Than you very much for sharing your dry rub recipe. And yes, we would like to see you chili recipe.

But, with the greatest of respect, we have to take issue with this statement:

I don't think Texas allows Shiner Bock to go out of state. I think it is a law that applies to Texas treasures.

Does this mean that you'll be taking George W. back in November?

Please confirm.

Yours,

Jamie Maw

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"