• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Figs in the Indian kitchen

I was reading a nice piece this morning in the Washington Post on Figs..

Do you use them in the Indian kitchen? Fresh ? Dried? What is your fav fig dish?

I ate this at a wedding in Delhi a few months ago and its one of my favorite dishes -- you can increase the level of charness (is that a word :laugh: ) or the amount of spices to taste --

Anjeer Khajoor Ki Seekh (Dried Fig and Date Kebabs)

16 dried figs (preferably Calimyrna figs)

16 pitted dried dates

Juice of one lemon

8 skewers

Indian Chaat Masala* to sprinkle

(Indian Chaat Masala, a tangy spice mix, is available at any Indian grocer. Look for the MDH brand)

1. Turn on the broiler

2. Place the figs and dates in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Mix well

3. Skewer two figs and two dates onto a single skewer

4. Place the skewers on a baking sheet and under the broiler -- at least 3 inches from the element. The figs and dates will heat up and the outer skin will begin to char a bit. The figs and dates take only a minute each side.

5. Remove from heat

6. Sprinkle sparingly with Indian Chaat Masala and serve hot.

7. Alternately: Grill the skewers on a medium hot grill or directly on heated charcoals. Watch carefully as they can quickly burn

Let me know how these turn out for you

Would love other fig recipes

Do tell

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

My dear friend Abdul's mother used to make Anjir Kulfi that was unbelievably rich. She used fresh in season but the dried ones were more commonly available year around.

Raghavan Iyer, CCP

Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year

2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -

Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

On two of my recent visits to India I enjoyed Anjir Ice Cream ( Not Kulfi). Once at the India International Center and another time at a wedding, I found the flavor wonderful and the product very satisfying.

I googled for recipes but did not come up with anything satisfying and would be grateful for any good recipes for the ice cream or the kulfi.

Slightly off the topic, once while visiting Pune my friend treated me to this Sharifa (custard apple) Ice cream at a wayside vendor which I found delectable. Anyone tried this one?

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

It sure does......

I once made a cornstarch custard(like Bird's) with figs that was flavored with saffron. Kind of Persian I guess...it was good.

There is an interesting recipe in Yamuna Devi's book "Yamuna's Table" for a fig dessert. She cuts fresh figs from the top to base so that the fig can be opened like a lotus flower. Spooned on top is a sandesh inspired mixture of sweetened fresh chenna, mint and tangerine juice that she calls mint cream. I made it once in 1994 and have never forgotten it.....

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

That sounds delightful - would your friend be willing to share a recipe?

Monica, here's the recipe - adapted from The Turmeric Trail...

8 cups whole milk

3 dried figs

1/2 cup fat-free cholesterol-free egg product (like Egg Beaters)

1/2 cup sugar

1. In a large, wide-rimmed saucepan or Dutch oven, bring milk to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Once milk comes to a boil, add figs and continue cooking the milk down, 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally and scraping sides of pan to release collected milk solids, until milk is reduced to 2 cups. Remove figs from milk.

2. Remove and discard stem end of figs; puree figs in food processor. Add fig-paste to reduced milk. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until well chilled.

3. In large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, beat together egg substitute and sugar, scraping bowl constantly, until smooth and creamy yellow.

4. Add reduced milk-fig mixture and continue beating 2 to 3 minutes, until well blended.

5. Transfer ice cream batter to ice cream maker; freeze per manufacturer’s instructions.

Raghavan Iyer, CCP

Winner of 2004 IACP Award of Excellence (formerly Julia Child Awards): Cooking Teacher of the Year

2003 James Beard Awards Finalist for Best International Cookbook - The Turmeric Trail: Recipes and Memories from an Indian Childhood (St. Martin’s Press, 2002) -

Betty Crocker’s Indian Home Cooking (Wiley, 2001)

I've eaten kaju-anjeer barfi in Dubai, a fig icecream in India - very yummy they are too. When I went to India this time, I was happy to see that you get very good quality icecream now (that wasn't the case the last time I visited, at least in Mangalore) - I forget the company name, but my uncle had got chikoo icecream and custard apple icecream - they were a good match for any premium icecreams you get here! I just couldn't stop eating them.

Suman