• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup dumplings and decent pizza in Atlanta

Always Hungry

Recent transplant from Manhattan desperately seeking a Shanghai restaurant that makes those little bundles of broth filled heaven. I'm located in Midtown but will drive anywhere in the state!

Also in search of a decent NY style pizza. I really dig the Mellow Mushroom pie but it's a different animal. Been to Fellini's a few times and haven't been impressed.

Please help out a newbie and point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Atlanta thread on gyoza, etc.

just nibble on this while I dig up some incredible pizza for you here in Atlanta ... :wink:

Oh yes, welcome to eGullet and the Southeast Forum since you are now a local resident, Always Hungry! Enjoy your stay here and we look forward to your posts after we fill your ravenous appetite! ... :biggrin:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Bella's is decent for new york style. (in smyrna) remember tho - it's close to back home, but not quite. the best ny-style i've had in the south has been in New Orleans.

i also like grant central pizza in grant park.

as for broth filled dumplings, i'm guessing buford highway somewhere. i'll have to leave that to the buhi experts.

welcome to egullet and welcome to atlanta. :-)

Wow, that was fast! Gifted Gourmet, thanks for the reply. That's the thread that got me reminiscing about the Shangai style soup dumplings in the first place!

While I've had great dumplings here in Atlanta (all sorts of Korean mandoo, Japanese gyoza and Chinese bao), I was thinking more about the soup-filled juicy buns in the manner of Joe's Shanghai in NYC. It's one of the few food items that I haven't been able to locate here, so I'm constantly on the lookout for any Asian restaurant with the word "Shanghai" in the name.

Thanks for the welcome! This forum has in incredible in helping me eat my way through the south... :)

Thanks for the pizza recommendations, Tryska! I'll try Grant Central as soon as I figure out where Grant Park is... :)

If I rememeber correctly from other posts, you're also in the Midtown area, correct? Nice to have a fellow foodie nearby to give local recommendations :)

Hanwoori Japanese/Korean restaurant

This is the place where I had the best soup with dumplings last week! it has an enormous menu and is most reasonably priced besides ... top end perimeter, I 285, exit at North Peachtree .. it is right there .. and their bulgogi was divine as well!

but, sorry, no pizza ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Hanwoori Japanese/Korean restaurant

This is the place where I had the best soup with dumplings last week! it has an enormous menu and is most reasonably priced besides ... top end perimeter, I 285, exit at North Peachtree .. it is right there .. and their bulgogi was divine as well!

but, sorry, no pizza ... :laugh:

Ahh...you must be refering to Mandoo Kuk! Indeed heavenly, but (alas for me) not a soup filled dumpling.

Have you tried their Pa-jun? A Korean style scallion "pizza" similar (but tastier, imo) to Japanese okonomiyaki.