• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef Philadelphia

Rich Pawlak

I split this off from another post because it was OT for that thread and I should have known better than derailing it myself! Besides, it deserves it's own thread

I think there should be a "Philly Iron Chef" competition. That could actually be really interesting. If such a thing existed, whom would we all nominate to participate?

I'll start:

Matt Ito - Fuji (Iron Chef Japanese)

Shola Olunloyo - StudioKitchen (Iron Chef Mad Fusion)

Joseph Poon - Joe Poon's (Iron Chef Chinese) (I would have nominated Susanna Foo for this spot but Joe is just so entertaining)

Jean-Marie Lacroix - Lacroix (Iron Chef French)

Any other nominees?

[Please pretend this is the first post. I can't get this to show up prior to the other two responses already because I split off only a portion of my previous post]

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was accidentally logged in under my husbands' account when I posted about Matt being the iron chef, but he agrees with me. I guess if I would pick another iron chef it would be

Dominique Filoni of Savona for mediterranean style food.

Who would be IRON CHEF OVARIES - best female chef around??

Good one. Unfortunately, most of the female chefs in Philadelphia are Pastry chefs, in my experience.

Some folks would probably argue for Alison Barshak of Alison at Blue Bell, even though it's technically outside of the city.

I like Susanna Goihman of Azafran.

If catering chefs are eligible then Lynn Buono of Feast Your Eyes gets a vote too.

Our own dear AliWaks is toiling away at Tria and adding her inimitable touch to their limited menu. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Who would be IRON CHEF OVARIES - best female chef around??

Susanna Foo

Duh! Sometimes I can be such a 23_4_145.gif. Since I don't frequent her restaurant the most obvious of nominees slipped my mind.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
I'll start:

Matt Ito - Fuji (Iron Chef Japanese)

Shola Olunloyo - StudioKitchen (Iron Chef Mad Fusion)

Joseph Poon - Joe Poon's (Iron Chef Chinese) (I would have nominated Susanna Foo for this spot but Joe is just so entertaining)

Jean-Marie Lacroix - Lacroix (Iron Chef French)

Any other nominees?

I second Shola from StudioKitchen.

I was fortunate enough to be introduced to his cusine by some friends. Unfortunately, since he only accepts reservations for a seating of 8, I do not return there as often as I would like.

BTW, if anyone on eGullet is looking for a party of 1-2 to join them at StudioKitchen, please drop me a note.

Cheers

Percy

Who are Philadelphia's Best Pastry Chefs and where can you get their delightful creations?

(other than Robert Bennet from Miel)

I would certainly say the elusive Eric Boerner, of Adam's Mark, Tony Clark's and Striped Bass fame, now working, I believe, for the Derek Davis Manayunk restaurant group.

I would also nominate the unnamed person (might be chef-owner Peter Lamlein) who does the pastries for Overtures resataurant, damn talented stuff.

And the unnamed pastry chef at 841 in Marlton, NJ, who made one mean sexy chocolate creme brulee and a blueberry lemon curd tart to die for, I swear.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'll also place a vote for Sonjia Bidegain Spector of Matyson, whose desserts are amazing. The molten chocolate torte with caramelized bananas and house made Brown Sugar ice cream has to be one of the best desserts I've ever had. Party in your mouth - warm and cold, crunchy and soft, sweet and bittersweet all at the same time. Awesome!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!