• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20th Anniversary Dinner

Looks like the wife and I will have to postpone our 20th anniversary dinner to latter in August (it's technically July 21st) and we've decided to have it in Philly (as opposed to NYC). So with that in mind I would like some suggestions for a very special dinner destination. Obvious possibilities that come to mind are: Lacroix, the Fountain, Striped Bass, and others of this caliber. I don't think we want to do LBF and also don't want to have to remortgage the house either. So, what do you think are the best places for a special anniversary dinner? I have heard mixed reviews about Lacroix (though mostly positive), the Fountain (very mixed), and Vetri (many negative). Ultimately for this type of ocassion I think my wife would enjoy a restuarant that has beautiful decor as well as excellent food. Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions! Obviously I better make some reservations soon! :shock:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I'm gonna throw in a Wild Card here and suggest a tasting menu with Chef Tim Olivett at The Moshulu. The menu he did for the eG group a while back looked damn impressive; it was kind of a shame I had to miss it.

Buy i think Lacroix, if you havent been yet, would also be nice, if much pricier.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I ate at Lacroix back in May and thought it was wonderful. The food was as good as any I've had in Philadelphia, very creative and exciting. Decor is beautiful and I was impressed by the knowledgable, low-key service. My sense is that it's cheaper than the Bec (but on the other hand, I wasn't paying.)

Since it sounds like y'all want to do it up in a big way, that's what I recommend. But I kind of like Rich's idea. Maybe you could reserve the deck at the back of the Moshulu for the two of you? That'd be pretty damn romantic, unless it rains...

Herb,

while looking at posts on that other food website I saw a very positive review of the Fountain with a discription of each dish, I was ready to make a reservation. Then I read a follow-up post where the person said that they had recently been there and thought the food was fair at best. Plus the 6 course tasting menu is $100pp and $200pp with wine pairings, that's a bit steep but I would pay it for an outstanding 20th anniversary dinner. I just want to be as sure as possible of the restaurant before I spend a lot of money on a very special dinner.

So far I have heard the most positive reviews about Lacroix but also a consistent statement that portions are small. But then again, we're not looking to leave feeling like we're going to explode (I hate that). On an aside, has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Founders in the Bellevue? I recently had a cigar at their Library Lounge and looked at the room, absolutely beautiful with wonderful views. The menu looked quite good. Definitely old school but possibly worth a try.

So far I'm considering Lacroix, Moshulu (good suggestion Rich) and Deux Cheminees (good suggestion Katie).

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

David

If you don't mind "old school steakhouse" then I'd highly recommend dinner at Capital Grill. I've found the service excellent, the food delicious and the atmosphere very elegant. The wine list is quite extensive, and there are some hidden gems on there as well. And I believe you might be able to have a cognac and your beloved post-prandial stogie right there at the bar.

Just a thought...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Unless you're married (heh) to the idea of staying downtown, you might also consider Savona, near KOP. It's rapidly becoming my favorite restaurant in the area, and I say that as someone who's familiar with most of Philly's best eateries. If you go, you absolutely must try the truffled mashed potatoes as a side dish. That stuff is like edible heroin. Except legal. And without the nasty side-effects.

If you don't mind "old school steakhouse" then I'd highly recommend dinner at Capital Grill. I've found the service excellent, the food delicious and the atmosphere very elegant. The wine list is quite extensive, and there are some hidden gems on there as well. And I believe you might be able to have a cognac and your beloved post-prandial stogie right there at the bar.

I second Katie's recommendation for the CG. The food is consistently excellent, along with the service, etc. The noise level is not unbearable either. You could always have a before or after dinner drink at the Ritz Carlton across the street in the Rotunda, one of my personal favorites.

My husband and I have also been to Lacroix and loved it. A very unique menu arrangement and great service. I suppose the courses are small, but I don't remember leaving hungry.

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

On an aside, has anyone heard anything positive or negative about Founders in the Bellevue? I recently had a cigar at their Library Lounge and looked at the room, absolutely beautiful with wonderful views. The menu looked quite good. Definitely old school but possibly worth a try.

I obviously used to do PR for the place, but presently I wouldnt recommend Founders. Too many changes, and not a consistent chef or theme to their food yet, and more changes are in the wings, I have heard. Killer view, and and old crowd to boot.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

So far I have heard the most positive reviews about Lacroix but also a consistent statement that portions are small. But then again, we're not looking to leave feeling like we're going to explode (I hate that).

I didn't find the portions that small. I was stuffed after the three-course meal. But I admittedly am not a real big eater.