• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scholls Public House

My boyfriend took me here last night and wouldn't tell me where we were going.

When we got there I found out he had just read about the place earlier that day.......

Oh My God!!!! The pizza is incomparable. It's made with sourdough by Brian Spangler from Olive Mountain Baking Company. (See Heidi Yorkshire's article)

What can I say? I'm no food writer. Some things you just have to taste. No

wonder the house was full when we arrived.

Unfortunately, I had to observe bad customer behavior....Some man was told when he arrived that all the pizza had been sold out and that the cook was working on all the customer's orders

after which he had a fit and then started blaring at the waiter that if he were any type of business person he would at least have offered him a free beer or salad because he drove 40 miles to get there and that the waiter should have seemed more apologetic. The waiter then nicely offered him what he wanted, the free beer or whatever to make it up and the guy just wouldn't have ANY of it, he wouldn't be consoled......and we were.........glad he marched off.

It's a good sign when places that honestly produce fresh foods occasionally run out of stuff, you get the feeling that things work organically, that they DON'T have hundreds of frozen balls of lesser dough just hanging out somewhere so that they never run out. Small batches.....remember dude? This is why we love these types of places and why we're willing to drive 40 miles or 40 minutes (in my case).

I need to add, the last stretch of road leading to the pizza is charming and the building is surrounded by u-pick berry farms.

Anyway, anyone who loves pizza should go here and just try it for themselves.

Oh and remember, the early bird gets the worm.

Cheers!

Edited by eem (log)

I thought it was particularly funny that the rude guy was lecturing the waiter on what a good business person would do, as in giving him free drinks, in the middle of a packed restaurant with a constant flow of new customers. It seems Brian might have some business sense to me.

I have to say it was hands down the best pizza I have ever eaten. The crust was crunchy, chewy, blistered, thin, and beautiful. Absolutely a masterpiece.

Rodney

Thanks for the report. This is actually on my to-do list when I get back. I'm eager to see the place and it's the perfect time of year for that sort of thing.

Nick

Get there early. It was a Wednesday night and we arrived at about 7:30 and they were turning people away.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

We got there right at 4PM for re-opening tonight and there were 4 other tables waiting outside in 98 degree heat.

Yes. It is THAT good. We got the Classic Margherita with Italian Sausage...perfect fresh red sauce, delicious parmesan, sausage was fantastic and the crust was simply perfect. I am typically a two-slice girl and easily wolfed down three along with half a terrific Cesar (sic) Salad.

YUM!

It is 21 miles from my house in near NE Portland. Still, worth it!!!!

It would be a great drive but you have to drive down 26 for awhile and then through Beaverton which is pretty crowded suburbia. The last few miles of the trip are nice, wine country, berry picking roads, however!

• 6 months later...

Apizza Scholls on Hawthorne

I happened to read rave Chowhound reviews of this new restaurant, and when someone mentioned it's near JaCiva's, wondered, could it be in the former Compass Bistro space? A moment of research revealed that yes, 4741 SE Hawthorne was previously Surabaya, previously Compass World Bistro (originally named Compass Cafe). Why was I interested? Matthew and I were married inside the Compass Cafe in 1996.

Apizza Scholls sounds great, and you can get LOW BBQ there on Monday evenings. Matthew's raved about LOW ever since he tasted it at the farmers market last summer.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

They're actually starting BBQ for the first time this Monday, 5pm-10pm. Rodney, who was one of the partners in LOW, is now in charge of salads at Apizza Scholls, other nights. A bunch of us from PortlandFood.org are meeting for Q this coming Monday at 7pm. See here:

http://www.portlandfood.org/modules.php?na...&t=148&start=30

For pictures and a review of LOW BBQ, see here:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?name=N...=article&sid=26

For pictures of Apizza Scholls, see here:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?set_al...=view_album.php

For pictures from Scholls Public House, see here:

http://www.extramsg.com/modules.php?set_al...=view_album.php