• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Table suggestions

JeffWilson

We are going to Chef's Table in Franklin Lakes on Friday night and I have never been there and don't know wanyone that has even heard of it! Can anyone tell me about it and make any suggestions for dinner? Thanks very much!

Jeff

Tommy or Rosie,

Any memory of how noisy it is? We are going with some people that we really want to be able to have a long conversation with and the last time out with them ended up in a very noisy place (i.e. just about everyplace in Ridgewood). Thanks!

Jeff

it's very quiet, with the median age hovering somewhere around 80. well, ok, maybe 50.

careful, there boy... :hmmm::hmmm:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

it's very quiet, with the median age hovering somewhere around 80.  well, ok, maybe 50.

careful, there boy... :hmmm::hmmm:

i'm merely pointing out a key piece of demographic data.

hey listen, i have nothing against old people. one of my best friends knows someone who's old. :wink:

but seriously, i think there is a lot to be deduced from the median age of diners at a restaurant like the Chef's Table in that area of the state. it's really no more complicated than that.

So we ended up going here on Friday night and we were pretty impressed. Very French, so not too imaginative or creative, but that's fine. I don't always need to be out there. My wife started with a simple green salad with a nice dressing (that I can't recall). I had the porcini ravioli. They were cooked just right and had a wonderful earthy flavor. There was some cream in the sauce, but not too much, so it was not at all overwhelmed. We both had the "Friday" special od Bouillibase. It was the best either of us have ever had. Red Snapper, halibut, monkfish, shrimp, scallops, and baby clams in a saffron broth. Outstanding. Great bread on the table to soak up that delicious broth.

Our guests ordered a special salad of blueberries, goat cheese, dried cranberries over mesculun greens and loved it. The other had the traditional escargot, which was also very good. His entree was seared scallops in a veal stock over rice. I don't think I have ever had scallops in a meat stock and found it unsual. He said that it was outstanding and said the scallops were very fresh. His wife ordered a chicked dish that I can't recall and I don't think that she was wild about it.

Desserts were solid, if unexceptional. A special peach tart was good, not great. And the chocolate mousse was good enough, but I am a true chocoholic and prefer a bit more dense and rich version.

Service was very good, although I prefer a better answer to the question "What is your specialty?" than "It's all wonderful". The chef came out and shared a glass of ice wine with us later in the evening and he was charming and nice to talk to. He used to be chef of Claude's Ho-Ho-Kus Inn and was the personal chef to President Nixon when he lived in the area.

A few MINOR points that I wasn't crazy about:

- COLD butter on the table for bread (a pet peeve of mine)

- Bussing took too long. We sat with empty plates for 10 minutes before they were removed (another pet peeve)

- No prices on the specials when they were read (did I mention that I have a lot of pet peeves?)

- Yes Tommy, although the average age was not 80, 60 is a good bet. Although many seemed to be regulars, which is a good sign.

But those are pretty minor. I would recommend this place. Dinner for four was $190 before tip (remember, it's BYOB). A very fair price for fine classic French cooking and good service.