• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with food

Florida Jim

With bread, olives and cheese:

1999 Cristom, Pinot Noir Marjorie Vnyd. (375):

Very crisp and angular in the mouth (to me, indicative of needing additional cellaring) with pure black cherry flavors, a touch of spice and mineral, concentrated, intense and well balanced with good sustain.

On release, there were complaints of VA (or some such) in this wine; none of that was evident or even suggested here. I think this is a ten year plus wine but what it will become in that time is subject to open. Seems to be developing slowly.

With chicken, artichoke and olive sausages with onions, roasted red peppers and artichoke pesto:

1999 Jasmin, Cote-Rotie:

Very light aromatics with red fruit and mineral showing; although still tight on the palate, beautiful, pure syrah flavors with ash tray, violet and mineral accents, feminine texture, good depth and concentration, a very clear sense of place and lovely balance with a long, slightly tannic finish.

Years to go to peak but still delicious and authentic. Elegant yet powerful; what a wine!

Imported by Kermit Lynch.

With Grilled salmon and corn pudding:

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir:

Young and closed with excellent concentration and structure, solid fruit and years ahead of it.

By itself:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allees:

Acid freaks, the line forms here. This is an incredibly intense and structured wine with ripe fruit and endless length. Not even remotely close to being ready to drink but, good God, I don’t know if I could stand it if it was. More potential then I can describe. Imported by Louis/Dressner.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com