• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepperpot Soup

Holly Moore

• 4 years later...

campbell's.

actually i could swear i posted this same question as one of my first posts on egullet. but i could be wrong.

i remember the main gist of the replies was that city tavern makes one. but i think i've seen their recipe in some cookbook or other and it doesn't even involve tripe. you have to ask yourself, what's even the point then?

i wish there were a restaurant in town that could serve dishes like this, without being all self-referential and ironic or historical.

Jamica, the island, is the last place I had a decent bowl :sad:

I when available I tend to develop an addiction to the stuff so it is probably just as well I can't find any. I don't need to be making 1 1/2 hour trips into the city for a bowl of soup.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I'm thinking one of the gastro-pubs could make Pepperpot a signature soup.

A word to the owners at Standard Tap or Royal Tavern might make it happen.

Maybe Chef Miguel at the new Cantina could do a Mexican spin on Pepperpot - sort of a hybrid Pepperpot/Menudo type thing? That might be quite tasty.

I suspect it's too warm out now for thoughts of Pepperpot soup. Everyone is into gazpacho for the summer...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol