• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Center City Sips

KatieLoeb

Hi All:

Not that I'd ever wish to be accused of encouraging any imbibing (at least while I'm not there to help :rolleyes:) but a recent e-mail really struck me as something I ought to post for general consumption, so to speak.

Center City District is sponsoring Happy Hour specials on Tuesdays through August 24, 2004. Many of the restaurants are featuring half price drinks, free appetizers, etc. and include some of this city's better watering holes. An excellent example are the $5 martinis and free pizza and cheesesteak springrolls at Davio's from 5-7 PM on Tuesdays.

The complete list of participants is HERE and the specific specials and times available are listed HERE

Have fun, don't forget to tip your bartenders and be safe!

Cheers,

Katie

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love Joe Poon's special. lafftastic.

:laugh: I hadn't even noticed how funny that is!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The happy hour menu at McCormick and Schmicks includes an 8 ounce cheeseburger and french fries which is a steal at $1.95. Surprised that Sansom Street Oyster House is not on the list. They have some good happy hour deals as well between 5:00pm and 7:00pm.

Gary:

It may depend on whether the restaurant is a "member" of CCD or Center City District, not just geographically, but perhaps an active participant, dues paying member, whatever...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I've been hearing about that damn McCormick & Schmick's happy hour deal for years now and have never gotten my lazy self over there for some drinking. I blame my liver for trying to dissuade me; I need to tell it to just shut up and do what it's told.

I've been hearing about that damn McCormick & Schmick's happy hour deal for years now and have never gotten my lazy self over there for some drinking. I blame my liver for trying to dissuade me; I need to tell it to just shut up and do what it's told.

It's also available at their late-night happy hour from 10:30 to midnight. There's a two drink minimum in either case.

What do their drinks cost? Rough estimate of glass of wine? Vodka tonic? Beer?

Average prices, a little on the high side, but not outrageous, the last time I went there.

Like, a lager will cost you like $4, I think, and it might not be a pint, but a regular glass. Glasses of wine hover around $7 or so; cocktails like a gin & tonic like $6; martinis probably more like $9.

Since I have today off, I'll have to sample some of the happy hours this afternoon.

Sorry Gary, it's only on Tuesdays for the Center City Sips stuff on the links I posted. However, many places have their own Happy Hours daily so you should check with them individually.

I availed myself of the McCormck & Schmick's late night Happy Hour (10:30PM-midnight) last night with two friends. Drinks are not inexpensive. Beer is your best bet at around $4.50. Glass wines are around $8-11 depnding on what you order. I will say that I was very impressed with the wine list there. Wide ranging selection, well chosen and some real gems on the list. Actually buying the by-the-glass wines by the bottle seems to be the best deal since it brings the glass cost down to around $6.50-7/glass. They give a bit of a price break on buying the bottle of by-the-glass wines. If you're sharing with someone it's a good deal. I had a few glasses of the Ironstone "Obsession" Symphony, which is made in California from the hybrid Symphony grape, a cross between Muscat and Grenache Gris. Very fruity, aromatic and fresh, and a bit on the sweet side like a nice riesling. Very tasty with the spicy mussels! I'd like to find that wine for Rouge - I think it'd be a big seller here.

We had an order of spicy mussels, two burgers and fries and shared a really yummy quesadilla and an order of Tuna Bites. all at $1.95/order. So our total food bill was just under $10! Such a bargain!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 11 months later...
It's baaaaaack.  On Wednesdays this year, which has always struck me as the drinkin'est of the school nights, so I can't complain. 

Any thoughts as to what's the best bet?  I'm thinking I'll head over to Alma de Cuba this week...

What's this Public House place at 18th & Arch? I've never even heard of it! :blink: I usually know where the bars are, even if I don't frequent them. Whassup with this place?

Their Center City Sips Happy Hour looks pretty good! :smile:

edited to add: [Emily Litella voice]Never Mind. I just realized this is where the old Independence Brewpub used to be.[/Emily Litella voice]

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

It's baaaaaack.  On Wednesdays this year, which has always struck me as the drinkin'est of the school nights, so I can't complain. 

Any thoughts as to what's the best bet?  I'm thinking I'll head over to Alma de Cuba this week...

LOL.. My experience was that Thursday's were the 'drinkin'est', but I guess when your in school, it could be any night :raz:

Not sure of what's the best, but I'm thinking the ones with appetizer specials are first on my list and that includes Alma de Cuba. Mojitos anyone? :wink:

public house is a new bar where dock street used to be.

Yeah that's it. Dock Street. I knew it was one of those formerly local microbreweries.

You'd think I'd remember since I worked a temp job for them for several months. :huh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I popped in on Alma last Wednesday and it was packed, not suprisingly, as I expect it to be one of the most popular CCS locales.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.