• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If eGulleters Ran Taste of Chicago

gmi3804

Oooh - how about the bacon-wrapped dates from Meson Sabika (in Northfield)?

Yep, Northfield...although they do have other locations (one for sure in Naperville). Their Northfield location is directly below the desk I'm sitting at right now and I've never tried these... :smile:

=R=

You wrote that at 11:15 this morning.

So, how did you like them?!? :biggrin:

Didn't get down there today. Forgot about a lunch meeting we had scheduled. :sad:

But...they are a definite for tomorrow! :smile:

=R=

Ok! Finally had the bacon-wrapped dates today (along with several other dishes :wink:) at Meson Sabika in Northfield and if they were the only thing served at Taste, it might still be worth the trip. Absolutely fantastic! :biggrin:

=R=

Glad you liked them! And they're really easy to make at home. I don't even make the dipping sauce, and no one's ever complained! :biggrin:

It would be great to see some of the upper end places represented but face it; they would be taking a loss by being there. I think if it got back to its roots, small samples at reasonable prices with less chain involvement that would be a big step. McDonald’s? The sad thing is people will line up for that. Trotter’s, Trio and Tru are not looking to become mass eateries, even if the did come you would probably be offered something for the event rather than signature dishes.

In order for Taste to be commercially successful they have had to take the path they are on. Hence the sponsorship from large corporations and mediocre food as it is no longer a food festival but more of an advertising gimmick.

I wish I knew more about how the restaurants are selected to participate. Why restaurants that do have doable signature food sell things not on their menus? Some of the things that people have brought up in related threads are valid criticisms of The Taste. Also think about the environment Taste is held in, caviar staircases don’t translate well in a carnival like location. It would also be too expensive and logistically problematic to put up seats and tables for a stand. Yes some places are featured in the tent areas but again I suspect that a restaurants involvement is expensive and has other drawbacks, like how do you staff the remote unit and assure profit and quality and maintain your retail unit at the same time? I think most places don’t want to bother with the headaches since they don’t have to do this type of promotion.

Living hard will take its toll...

in a magical, fun world, the word-of-mouth advertising from the taste portions alone would increase restaurant traffic. it is a promotional event, after all. the corporate sponsorships and chain infestation have likely ruined it permanently, though.

Sarcasmo~

(fictionislying.com)

I would like to have my very own "Brownie Booth"!  Of course the first 8,000,000 would be baked just for Nero &  =R=

Ok, I suppose if you made 8,000,000, I could force myself to share. :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com