• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese restaurants

BeaChambers

Mynew Japanese friends recommend the following restaurants.

Ajian- Rt. 22W, Watchung

Sono- Millburn

Tomo- South Orange Ave., S. Orange

I like all 3 also and I also like Yuki-Hana (Madison)

Tomo is an experience. It looks like a dump and I only went in because it was recommended by 2 different Japanese people. It is tiny (maybe 5 tables-I will count next trip) and no sushi bar.

I cannot pick a favorite from the above.

Bea---NJ

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my favorites are:

Yamaguchi, on Route 4 East, in Fort Lee. It's right before the last exit and is somewhat attached to a very questionable looking hotel, but don't be concerned. 95% of the time 95% + of the guests are Japaneese. Most Japaneese corporations recommend this place to their visitors, geusts, etc.

Also, Wild Ginger in Englewood. Very nice, small, BYOB. The sushi chef adds a flair of creativity and the quality is excpetional.

Another, unknown place is Myoshi in Hackensack. Service is so-so at best, quality of fish is great, and this place is cheap.

Eric

Sushi:

I'll second ELA on Wild Ginger. Really top quality stuff.

On the lower end of the scale, the newly reopened East Kaiten Sushi in Teaneck on Teaneck Rd is very good, if you are looking for something different.

in the morris county area, Sono in Millburn, Nikko on Route 10 in East Hanover, and Nagano in Morristown.

Hibachi:

While I dont think any hibachi restaurant in northern Nj even approaches the level of quality of a typical korean barbeque joint, these are the ones that I like:

Gasho, off route 46 / Challenger Rd in Ridgefield Park

Mikado, on route 10 in East Hanover in the Marriot Hotel.

for all things noodle and nabe, by far the best place to go is the food court in the Mitsuwa shopping center in Edgewater. Place closes at 7PM though and 8PM on weekends I think.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I never tried, or heard of for that matter, this place in Teaneck. That's kind of rare too. LOL.

In Teaneck, although I haven't been in a while, I use to go to East, on Teaneck Road. Are they still open? I thought I heard someone say they weren't open. They have multiple locations too.

As far as Hibachi - I haven't been there in a while either, but Gasho would get my vote. I have gone to Kiku on Route 4 (eastbound side) in Paramus. It's right around the corner from my office. There is another place, Mt. Fuji I beleive on ROute 17 (southbound side). When they added there Sushi Bar, it seemed very good, but I haven't done the Hibachi thing there in a long time. I did like the Sushi Bar quite a bit, but that was about 1 1/2 years ago or so.

What about "THE" Mt. Fuji - up on the mountain? Any opinions? Thanks.

Eric

Quote: from ELA on 3:30 pm on Sep. 19, 2001

I never tried, or heard of for that matter, this place in Teaneck. That's kind of rare too. LOL.

In Teaneck, although I haven't been in a while, I use to go to East, on Teaneck Road. Are they still open? I thought I heard someone say they weren't open. They have multiple locations too.

East has recently re-opened as  a "kaiten" style sushi place, aka conveyor-belt or sushi boat style that is very popular in Tokyo or in California. Inexpensive and very good, since the place is very busy and nothing sits on that conveyor for too long.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Intersting, very intersting. I haven't even been by there in quite a while so I wouldn't have seen it.

I am glad to hear you liked it. I'll have to give it a try very soon.

BTW, Jason - I'll call you tomorrow so we can hook up. Thanks.

Eric

I visit Nikko in Whippany as much as I can. Their sushi is absolutely superb. I was recently informed that one of the former owners of Nikko opened Midori in Morris Plains which I have not yet been to and would love some feedback on. Also someone recommended a place called Kyoto, a BYO in Florham Park. I realize that this discussion is in the New Jersey forum but I must mention that the only sushi that I have ever had that tops Nikko is at a small place called Taka in the Village in NYC.

A.D.S.

Nikko is a good restaurant, but I think that Wild Ginger in Englewood is very close to Nobu quality in terms of ingredients used and skillfullness of preparation.

Nikko is very good IMHO. I too think Wild Ginger is top notch quality, as is Yamaguchi.

If you are talking about NYC and sushi, go to Blue Ribbon Sushi. I am not sure if they are open due to the recent tragedies. I think Blue Ribbon is the best sushi place in NYC. Consistantly top notch quality. Overall - the best IMVHO.

Eric

Quote: from cookiefromnj on 11:46 pm on Sep. 22, 2001

Was honored guest of the owner of wild Ginger tonight. All I can say is WOW! The food here is amazingly fresh.

Had Lobster over mango and julienned cucumber with a spicy mustard sauce. White tuna marinated in sake, and the best assortment of rolls I have eever eaten....

CookiefromNJ--thanks for your report. Tell us about other restaurants that you like to dine at in NJ. We are always looking for new places to try.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 3 months later...

Let me add a "me too" for most of the comments on places mentioned above. But I do have a few notes:

Bergen County:

Wild Ginger is probably the best one I've been to, maybe even better than Nobu in NYC. It is accordingly one of the most expensive places - not that it isn't worth it.

East has decent quality, is packed all the time, which alleviates the worry about stuff sitting on the conveyor belt too long. They also have a nice selection of cold sake. Last time we were there we had some of the hot food, great beef negamaki. The sushi chefs will make stuff to order if you ask. Since the little plates hold about half an order at a regular sushi place, you can try a greater variety of types of sushi too. A good rule of thumb for this place is to order sushi only if you are sitting next to the conveyor belt. If you are at a table, get cooked food. A good everyday sushi place if you live in the area.

I've only been to Yamaguchi once, and have heard from more than one person how good it is, and how full it is of Japanese business men. However, perhaps because so many Japanese business men frequent it, it is also full of inescapable cigarette smoke, ruining the experience for me no matter what quality the fish.

Morris County:

Nikko is good, but too packed all the time. Believe it or not, East Tokyo (the place in front of the bowling alley) on Rt 10 in East Hanover has just as good food, friendlier staff and you don't usually have to wait cause it is a larger place. No, you can't hear the bowling alley, they are completely separate.

Midori, the restaurant the Nikko owners opened further up Rt 10 West is OK, but not as good as the original. Frankly, the first time I went there it literally smelled a little fishy. Similar the second time, so we stuck to cooked food and haven't been back.

The best sushi in Morristown is at Nagano on Washington St, it's on the second floor, basically across the street from Grand Cafe. Best quality, but more traditional than Wild Ginger.

Sono: Millburn is in Essex County, not Morris. That is a really good place. Decent sushi and great fried oysters.

I'd like to thank you all for this thread.  As I age (!!), I am becoming a more adventurous eater.  I have always been a bit wary of Japanese cuisine, especially sushi.  Possibly because of all the fishing we did when I was growing up!  However, I am actually looking forward to trying some of the places mentioned above.  On New Year's Eve, my wife and I tried lunch at a place called Taka in Wayne.  Yes Yes, I had the shrimp tempura, coward that I am, but it was quite good.  I hope we can get back to this place soon.  But, I must tell you, I was so proud of myself using the chopsticks.  After a quick lesson in how to hold them, I found my own Clumsy Hamfisted American Style to be quite effective and not totally spastic.  I didn't want the lunch to end I was having so much fun!  I will be sure to report on future visits to Japanese restaurants.  (BTW, while Taka was not crowded for lunch on New Years Eve, most of the patrons were Japanese, surely a good sign?)

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my favorite Japanese restaurants in New Jersey include Komegashi in Jersey City and JoSho in Somerset.  I would have to say if I really want good Japanese Sushi, I go into NYC.

Komegashi has two locations in Jersey City.  The original one is in the Exchange Place area while the 2nd branch is in Newport Mall area.  Both are good and you should really try the daily specials.  

JoSho has some interesting selections on their menu and you know it's super authentic if they offer natto on the menu.   So I usually get a maguro natto and a chirashi sushi box (one of the best selections of chirashi boxes I've eaten IMHO).  They also have red bean mochi desserts which is a definitely rarity in New Jersey.

I've also been to Minado in Little Ferry but you've got to get there early or else all the good stuff goes away.  I went on a weekend and while it was good, it was scanty.

(Edited by pavlova27 at 1:20 pm on Feb. 5, 2002)

Quote: from pavlova27 on 8:50 pm on Feb. 2, 2002

I've also been to Mikado in Little Ferry but you've got to get there early or else all the good stuff goes away

is that the seafood buffet next to the old valley fair?  and rachel, is that the place that you mentioned friday night?  i remember (i think) you saying something about a seafood buffet and we drove by it today.

Yes, that is the place. I guess I agree with the poster before you: Mikado is a very good buffet place. Probably one of the best seafood buffets around... but still a buffet with the general problems of all buffets.

(First a disclaimer: We wanted to go to Wondee's last Monday night, arrived and realized we forgot she's closed on Mondays :( The Horror! We were really hungry, had passed this place a milllion times, it was nearby, etc., so we went.)

The sushi was actually satisfactory, the pretty large crowd and vigilant sushi preparers (chefs?) keeping it all pretty fresh. Other features were a raw oyster bar, peeled shrimp cocktail, various cold salads. My favorite dish was actually in the hot area, a cod dish (teriyaki?). Plenty of cold snow crab legs were available, but the lobster, of which they ask you to limit yourself to "one per guest, per tray" was elusive. Each time up at the display there was no lobster to be seen. Eventually, we'd check whenever we saw anyone pass by with what looked like lobster on their plate. By the time we got up there, you guessed it, the lobster would be gone. By the end of the night we had managed to snag one (halves of small stuffed lobsters), wasn't worth the wait - better to just eat more crab.

The cost was around ฤ per person, free refills on softdrinks, beer & wine available.

EDIT: The name is actually Minado, not Mikado.

(Edited by RPerlow at 9:30 am on Feb. 5, 2002)

We were there a couple years ago. Nothing negative to say. Actually, it must have been pretty good because I tried something new there (I usually reserve trying new kinds of sushi (to me) until I've tried the basics). Pickled plums, I learned I don't like pickled plums. But obviously, it didn't blow us away because we haven't been there since we moved back to the area.

Quote: from RPerlow on 7:48 am on Feb. 3, 2002

Plenty of cold snow crab legs were available, but the lobster, of which they ask you to limit yourself to "one per guest, per tray" was elusive. Each time up at the display there was no lobster to be seen. Eventually, we'd check whenever we saw anyone pass by with what looked like lobster on their plate. By the time we got up there, you guessed it, the lobster would be gone. By the end of the night we had managed to snag one (halves of small stuffed lobsters), wasn't worth the wait - better to just eat more crab.

I would have to agree that the lobster is <B>VERY ELUSIVE</B> so make sure to get a table that's very close to the buffet area so you can snag one of these.  I think the sign just adds some cache to the fact the lobsters are mediocre.  ;)

(Edited by pavlova27 at 1:25 pm on Feb. 5, 2002)