• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baseball and Wine in NYC

I wonder which wine goes best with burgers?

Barbera d'Asti for me, if available. Otherwise a glass of Syrah or Petite Syrah does just fine with a burger.

Thems be good choices. Barbera d'Asti go well with so many types of food. Burgers may be about the only food that I'll pair with a California red Zin. Otherwise, Zins are just way too big to match with food.

Edited by mikeyrad (log)

Does it have to be kosher?

The kosher dogs and knishes at Yankee stadium can be found on the main concourse and the tier concourse at about section 8. Kosher dogs cost $.50 more than the regular ones.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I wonder which wine goes best with burgers?

Barbera d'Asti for me, if available. Otherwise a glass of Syrah or Petite Syrah does just fine with a burger.

Thems be good choices. Barbera d'Asti go well with so many types of food. Burgers may be about the only food that I'll pair with a California red Zin. Otherwise, Zins are just way too big to match with food.

I think Barbera d'Asti is just about the best thing in the world with grilled meat. It is "burger wine" if ever there was one. Just most places don't have it, or the ones that do don't serve burgers. :angry: I think I might get some here at Rouge for by-the-glass. We do make a mean burger... :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Barbera is a nice match. Othe good ones are zinfandel or syrah (or shiraz) or petite syrah. Justin Huber, a Mets minor league understudy for Piazza at catcher is from Australia, so maybe the shiraz would be in order. You know, for the future.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Justin Huber, a Mets minor league understudy for Piazza at catcher is from Australia, so maybe the shiraz would be in order. You know, for the future.

The Mets have another Aussie in AAA -- P. J. Bevis. Reminds me of Monty Python's "Austrailian Table Wines" sketch:

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines.  This is a

pity, as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palette,

but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

"Black Stump Bordeaux" is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured

Burgundy, whilst a good "Sydney Syrup" can rank with any of the world's

best sugary wines.

"Chateau Bleu", too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and

its lingering afterburn.

"Old Smokey, 1968" has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret,

whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly recommends a 1970 "Coq du

Rod Laver", which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule:  8 bottles

of this, and you're really finished -- at the opening of the Sydney

Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an

hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is "Perth Pink".  This is a

bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!.  This is not a

wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is "Melbourne Old-and-Yellow", which is

particularly heavy, and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of "Chateau Chunder", which is an Appelachian

controle, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation -- a fine wine

which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a "Hobart Muddy", and a prize winning

"Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga", which has a

bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

Edited by mikeyrad (log)

How draconian is Yankee Stadium security on this lately?

It's not that bad. The security precautions on the website are a little overblown; I almost always have my work tote bag with me (it's huge) or my small purse, and I carry a bottle of water with me everywhere. They always see it, no biggie. There are people who bring food--I'm sure a lot of them hide it in tote bags and such--but I have seen people needing to switch their food from whatever they're carrying to clear plastic bags that security provides. Don't know what it's for, and don't know if you have to pay for it. I don't think you have to, though.

Edited by Pumpkin Lover (log)

When we still went to Knicks games, most times I'd bring dinner. Only once did the security guy say something to the effect of "You're not supposed to bring in food," to which I replied, "Want some?" He grunted and let me in with it. (Good thing: we got sick on the "pizza" at the garden once.) My guess is that the security staff has far worse stuff to worry about, especially at the Stadium.

I just saw on the news that Tommy John (a LONG time Yankee pitcher) is back in NY baseball. He's now the manager of the Staten Island Yankees.

John, besides being a pretty darned good pitcher, is also famous for having an entire common type of surgery nicknamed after him. He was also a famous "trencher", once being quoted as quipping:

I'm a light eater. When it gets light, I start eating.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I haven't been to Yankee Stadium yet this season, but certainly as of last season (including the post-season), you were allowed to bring in food. What you couldn't bring in were bottles - no glass.

Michael aka "Pan"

Does it have to be kosher?

The kosher dogs and knishes at Yankee stadium can be found on the main concourse and the tier concourse at about section 8. Kosher dogs cost $.50 more than the regular ones.

Thanks for being so considerate, Suzanne & Bloviatrix. :smile:

It's not necessary for your recommendation to be kosher. Mr. alacarte inevitably will seek out a knish :wink: but my dad will eat kosher/non-kosher -- I was wondering what his options might be.

Security people at Yankee Statium can be assholes too. At a game earlier this year, my friend brought food in a opaque thermal bag. She had to transfer the food to a clear plastic bag, but then they wouldn't let her bring the EMPTY thermal bag into the stadium. Don't bring two bags, either unless you each carry one of them. They don't let one person bring in two bags. They also look under mens caps. Makes as much sense as checking shoes at the airport. Though I remember once Casey Stengel hid a live bird under his cap and released it during a game. How do all the suits go to games after work? They all can't be leaving their laptops with the limo driver? Same security mentality at the Yankee Club entrance. Enjoy the game anyway.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

You can check stuff across the street at Stan's. Presumably, that's what the suits do with their laptops, if they can't bring them into the Stadium.

Michael aka "Pan"

I saw the following in the current issue of New York Magazine:

DON’T BRING A BAG.

Nothing larger than a purse gets into Yankee Stadium, and the only place to check a bag is at the bowling alley across the street. Shea is more lenient, but you’ll still be standing in a security line for 40 minutes.

DO WANDER AFIELD FOR FOOD.

If the hot dog–Bud Light routine gets old, Yankee Stadium has Chinese pickings in the food court and an outdoor café along the right-field line with swankier beer and sit-down tables. Shea just set up a new kids’ food booth on the right-field line with pizza by the slice and chicken nuggets, and behind home plate there’s a Japanese booth and a kosher stand with Hebrew National hot dogs and knishes (closed for Friday night and Saturday day games).