• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone been to the Citrus Grill in Spring Valley?

zeman

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been there is a year or so but I have probably eaten there three or four times.  It has always been wonderful.  They have a very quaint main dining room with a fireplace as I recall.  They also have a very nice lower dining room that can easily accomodate your group.

Thank you for your first post, OldGoat (great name!!!).

Where else do you like to eat up in that Northeast Bergen area? That whole area of Old Tappan, Northvale, etc really hasn't been well covered lately on this board.

If we get this going, maybe we can annex Rockland County to NJ...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Iam afraid I have not not.  The last place I visited was Cafe Panache in Ramsey.  I enjoyed it very much.  It is a BYO which I liked but it was still a tad pricey.  

The food itself was wonderful but I found the environment to be a bit too cramped. You feel like you are literally dining with your neighbors!

Quote: from oldgoat67 on 9:55 am on Jan. 25, 2002

Iam afraid I have not not.  The last place I visited was Cafe Panache in Ramsey.  I enjoyed it very much.  It is a BYO which I liked but it was still a tad pricey.  

The food itself was wonderful but I found the environment to be a bit too cramped. You feel like you are literally dining with your neighbors!

i've never been blown away by cafe panache.  i tihnk if the room didn't suck so hard it might be a more enjoyable experience for me.  it's just a horrible room...no place to wait, people waiting on top of you, too cramped, etc.

You have an excellent point.  For the amount of raving that the place gets - and I do believe that the food is quite good - you don't expect to be so uncomfortable.

The seating provides too little privacy and, your correct, there is absolutely no place to stand  while waiting for your table.  Pretty rediculous for this calibre of restaurant.

Bergen County should have an abundance of good places to eat, given the affluence and all the businesses in the area. I'm surprised market forces don't cause the owner to improve or lose customers...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 year later...
Bergen County should have an abundance of good places to eat, given the affluence and all the businesses in the area. I'm surprised market forces don't cause the owner to improve or lose customers...

Why? Any place thats half good is packed on the weekends. There's no incentive to improve if you can get away without doing it. I find that Bergen county is a wasteland of top level restaurants (there are a few). The "ethnic"restaurants are so much better.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Citrus Grill is in Airmont NY. A couple or three hundred yds north of the NY/NJ line on East Saddle River Road.

Food is good. Once had 4 stars from the Record (whatever you think of the Record, they don't hand out the 4 star rating lightly). I don't know what their current rating is. The chef/owner, Steve Christiansen was, at one time, a partner in Cafe Panache. In fact, he opened it with Kevin Kohler.

Nick

Thank you Rail!

There are alot of very good places up here actually.  Some that come to mind include:<p>Roman Cafe, Saddle River Inn of course,  Esty Street and Robins.  I'd love to compare notes !

If you mean the Robin's that used to be Jamies, then alas, it has been gone for some time now. It is now another Italian restaurant called Zanni.

Nick