• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 hours ago, RWood said:

Thanks, I have noticed some seem rather tall and open. I want to get the top heat, so that's good advice. My brother in law has an Ooni, and he seems to like it. I've noticed they have a new larger one, which might be worth looking into. We don't know yet what we will have, we are going to look at houses in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking some of the ones that are pre-made and can be installed on the counter, and I'm having a gas hookup. I really don't want to clean up ash. 

Using an outdoor wood oven is work.    You don't just start a fire and walk away; it must be attended for well over an hour before you reach backing temps.   You need a good heat-sensor gun.   There is a lot of watchful waiting before that seemingly simple 2 minute pie comes out of the oven.    And keeping fire at baking temps if your are cooking for a party.    There are three parts to wood fired oven pizzas.     The dough, toppings and construction; fire building and maintenance; and the actual baking.    Timing is everything.   So coordination is essential.   Making pizza for a crowd is WORK!   Even when guests "make their own", they have to be mother-henned or else they wind up with calzone...as their overloaded pies topple over onto themselves off the peel and into the oven.  

Plus, yes, ash.   And wood storage.   And preparing kindling or small natural fire starter material.  

Ours is at a weekend place where husband is often consumed all day with maintenance chores.    Hence my learning how to make plausible pizza in the kitchen range oven.   Life is short; wood burning pizza ovens are a project/hobby/lovefest, but work.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 hours ago, RWood said:

Thanks, I have noticed some seem rather tall and open. I want to get the top heat, so that's good advice. My brother in law has an Ooni, and he seems to like it. I've noticed they have a new larger one, which might be worth looking into. We don't know yet what we will have, we are going to look at houses in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking some of the ones that are pre-made and can be installed on the counter, and I'm having a gas hookup. I really don't want to clean up ash. 

Using an outdoor wood oven is work.    You don't just start a fire and walk away; it must be attended for well over an hour before you reach backing temps.   You need a good heat-sensor gun.   There is a lot of watchful waiting before that seemingly simple 2 minute pie comes out of the oven.    And keeping fire at baking temps if your are cooking for a party.    Plus, yes, ash.   And wood storage.   And preparing kindling or small natural fire starter material.  

Ours is at a weekend place where husband is often consumed all day with maintenance chores.    Hence my learning how to make plausible pizza in the kitchen range oven.   Life is short; wood burning pizza ovens are a project/hobby/lovefest, but work.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

2 minutes ago, RWood said:

Using an outdoor wood oven is work.    You don't just start a fire and walk away; it must be attended.   You need a good heat-sensor gun.   There is a lot of watchful waiting before that seemingly simple 2 minute pie comes out of the oven.    And keeping fire at baking temps if your are cooking for a party.    Plus, yes, ash.   And wood storage.   And preparing kindling or small natural fire starter material.