• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making flavored syrups

KatieLoeb

[Editor's note: This discussion was an offshoot in the Summer Coktails thread, but I think it deserves its own separate thread.]

Buried somewhere at home I have a recipe for an herbal simple syrup that when added to Bourbon and filled with Bitter Lemon is positively sublime.

Sort of a funky and more refreshing twist on a julep, but it had Mint, Basil and Cilantro in it as well.

It would probably be pretty tasty with white rum as well.

I'll see if I can either find the magazine with the recipe in it, or perhaps locate it online. It was absolutely delicious!

Edited by JAZ (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Got a bit nostalgic for the Mint Juleps I missed on Derby Day, so last night friend/pro bartender Claire and I set out to make some bourbon drinks to sip while we watched Smarty get beaten on the home stretch in the Belmont (:sad::angry:).

Riffing on the herbal simple syrup idea I mentioned above, I'd bought an incredibly fragrant bunch of Pineapple Mint at the Farmer's market (for $1!!!) Saturday morning. We boiled up 4 cups water and added about 1.75 cups of sugar. Finely chopped the mint and added it to the still hot simple syrup. Let it cool. Strained about 1.5 Tbs. minted syrup into ice filled glasses, added a healthy splash of bourbon and topped with the aforementioned Bitter Lemon soda. YUM! Very refreshing and a less sweet and strong deconstructed Julep. This would undoubtedly be delicious with white rum as well, and that will be my reward when I get home this evening! I'm thinking that a shot of mint simple syrup and a shot of Limoncello in iced tea would be incredibly refreshing too.

I think I'm going to experiment some more with the flavored simple syrup concept and start a separate thread about it. I think I'm on to something with this because it's so easy and inexpensive to make and expands your bar and cocktail possibilities exponentially.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm still playing with the minted simple syrup. Tonight's winner will end up being a brunch cocktail as soon as I can manage it.

The Gilded Lily

1 oz. vodka

1.5 Tbs. Mint simple syrup

2 oz pineapple juice

Splash of fresh lime juice

Shake over ice and strain into a champagne flute. Fill with sparkling wine. Garnish with mint.

The alternative is to add Sprite instead of sparkling wine, shake and serve on the rocks. Also quite refreshing.

Anyone who read my latest adventures at the local gelato shop will see the influence and effect the Pineapple-Mint sorbetto has had on me. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm still playing with the minted simple syrup. Tonight's winner will end up being a brunch cocktail as soon as I can manage it.

Katie, mint syrup can work amazingly well with tequila. I use a mint and jalapeno infused syrup in what I call my "fire and ice" margarita -- tequila, lime juice, and the syrup, blended with ice. It's about the only drink I like slushy.

And by the way, weren't you going to start a flavored syrup thread? :cool:

I'm still playing with the minted simple syrup.  Tonight's winner will end up being a brunch cocktail as soon as I can manage it.

Katie, mint syrup can work amazingly well with tequila. I use a mint and jalapeno infused syrup in what I call my "fire and ice" margarita -- tequila, lime juice, and the syrup, blended with ice. It's about the only drink I like slushy.

JAZ:

I need a few more successes under my belt to have enough ammunition to start the thread, I think. I tried a few drinks with the Rosemary simple syrup last night and have decided it needs to go with a "heavier" spirit than apple vodka. Maybe Bourbon? My attempt at an Apple-Rosemary cocktail smelled amazing, but was a bit clunky taste-wise. Delicious for the first couple of sips, then you just wanted it to go away... :sad:

Next infusion will be Ginger simple syrup. Tons of possibilities there. In addition to house made ginger ale with club soda. Also think I'll try make cinnamon syrup. Although that might be a more "wintery" addition to cocktails.

Mint and tequila sounds YUMMY!!!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I tried a few drinks with the Rosemary simple syrup last night and have decided it needs to go with a "heavier" spirit than apple vodka. Maybe Bourbon? My attempt at an Apple-Rosemary cocktail smelled amazing, but was a bit clunky taste-wise. Delicious for the first couple of sips, then you just wanted it to go away... :sad:

Yeah, rosemary would be a tough match. I remember reading (somewhere -- Fine Cooking magazine) an article on using herbs in desserts, and I think I recall a match between grapefruit and rosemary, so maybe that's an avenue to pursue.

Also, there was this recipe from the New Cocktails thread by member Plattetude, which might provide some inspiration:

Rosemary, Baby!

6 parts rosemary-infused vodka

1 part Lillet blanc

1 part Cointreau

splash absinthe

dash orange bitters

Stir vigorously with ice, serve up in a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with orange peel.

I'm still playing with the minted simple syrup.  Tonight's winner will end up being a brunch cocktail as soon as I can manage it.

Made a batch of mint syrup - thanks, I was wondering what to do with the spearmint pruning. I have tequila. I have limes. I'll pass on the peppers. And it's almost trying to be hot here.

I tried a few drinks with the Rosemary simple syrup last night and have decided it needs to go with a "heavier" spirit than apple vodka.  Maybe Bourbon? My attempt at an Apple-Rosemary cocktail smelled amazing, but was a bit clunky taste-wise.  Delicious for the first couple of sips, then you just wanted it to go away... :sad:

Yeah, rosemary would be a tough match. I remember reading (somewhere -- Fine Cooking magazine) an article on using herbs in desserts, and I think I recall a match between grapefruit and rosemary, so maybe that's an avenue to pursue.

Second the rosemary/grapefruit motion! Now I think of it, it seems strange to me that I've never tried it in a culinary or drinking context, but my favorite aromatherapy mix of essential oils is rosemary, grapefruit and lavender. For a bath I usually let the lavender predominate (damn, off the top of my head I can't remember the exact properties, but lavender is supposed to be relaxing whereas rosemary and grapefruit are different kinds of invigorating), but I bet you could do some really interesting things with a rosemary syrup and grapefruit juice and... rum? vodka? For that matter, it's almost lavender season - maybe when the flowers come in it'd be worth making a lavender-rosemary syrup. Something tells me lemon would work well somewhere in this mix too. Limoncello? I think in the back of my mind I'm remembering some sort of a dessert where lemon and lavender were the main flavor notes. Pity the back of my mind doesn't ever step forward; the memory is hazy as hell, even though no booze was involved at the time.

Next infusion will be Ginger simple syrup. Tons of possibilities there. In addition to house made ginger ale with club soda. Also think I'll try make cinnamon syrup. Although that might be a more "wintery" addition to cocktails.

I tried for a ginger-mint syrup, but the ginger was so overwhelming you couldn't taste the mint. However, it was still good. I used it with anejo rum, a splash of orange juice and club soda (a take off from DeGroff's Anejo Highball). And there's that ginger drink from Mas that beans posted on, too.

Katie, mint syrup can work amazingly well with tequila.

Very early when I first began bartending (second job, the Fall season in the Gund Arena neighbourhood-GO CAVS!), a manager found and liked a shot that he, in a good mood, would make up and have the bar staff join him in a toast. I wasn't too sure about this guy because it was my second shift, but he was the boss, right? They were called Iguanas and were about equal parts of tequila and peppermint schnapps. I thought I'd choke on the thing thinking -- yuk. They were fine, however they are a bit of a hard sell when people hear about the drink for the first time....

It's been nearly 9 years since I've considered mint and tequila as a flavour combination. If I remember, he used Cuervo Gold.

For that matter, it's almost lavender season - maybe when the flowers come in it'd be worth making a lavender-rosemary syrup. Something tells me lemon would work well somewhere in this mix too. Limoncello? I think in the back of my mind I'm remembering some sort of a dessert where lemon and lavender were the main flavor notes. Pity the back of my mind doesn't ever step forward; the memory is hazy as hell, even though no booze was involved at the time.

Despite I misspelt lavender ( :rolleyes: ) and this is focused around vodka infusions, I volunteered this here and it was picked up again by Sam, further down thread, right here. :smile:

While I need to give more thought about a lavender-rosemary combo, I suggested looking to culinary inspiration -- such as lovely pairings with ginger, berries, tea and pears that work wonderfully with lavender? As you mentioned, I believe that a lemoncello sort would work quite nicely.

This is what Sam came up with and posted on this thread.

Recently made:

2 oz home infused lavender vodka

1 oz limoncello

.5 oz Vya extra dry vermouth

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Shake and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with extra-long spiral of lemon peel cut with chanel knife.

Pretty good, but it lacks something... perhaps a touch of simple syrup. Really cool pale green color, though.

I hope some of this helps for inspiration. :smile:

[and that the links are correct to each specific post :wacko: ]

Edited by beans (log)

I tried for a ginger-mint syrup, but the ginger was so overwhelming you couldn't taste the mint. However, it was still good. I used it with anejo rum, a splash of orange juice and club soda (a take off from DeGroff's Anejo Highball). And there's that ginger drink from Mas that beans posted on, too.

The thing to do is to make two separate syrups, then combine them in a ratio that allows you to retain the flavor of each in a blended product.

However, you should not taste the syrup undiluted as you will rapidly lose discriminating sense and not be able to tell the true flavor.

If you dilute it 10 to 1, you should have enough to taste the flavor and not overwhelm your taste sense.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What about non-herbal flavored syrups? I'm thinking of something like raspberry syrup or almond syrup, for orzata. Any ideas how to make those? This is probably a very stupid question, but I honestly have no idea how to go about it.

I enjoy homemade syrups as well, and use them primarily with zests---grapefruit, lime, orange, etc. I view simple syrup (s.s.) the way a chef would view butter or oleo---as a "fatty" medium, that smooths and rounds out flavors by coating them with fatty molecules. I think a rosemary or lavender syrup would be great because the "fat" in the syrup could help tone down their flavor profiles, and "tame" them a bit.....otherwise they can be too intense and perfumey if not used properly. But it is for that very same reason that I don't like mint or ginger syrup---it's hard to overdo mint, and I think when you put mint into s.s. you supress its' "brightness". Ginger syrups also loose their zing. Why not just muddle mint, verbena, etc. right into your cocktails? For ginger, utilize fresh ginger juice or prepare a ginger "beer", a strong ginger tisane, or muddle it in as well.

I also think that "cold fusions" work better, although they take a little longer to prepare. Meaning that you allow your s.s. to cool prior to infusing, and that you infuse flavors directly in the refrigerator. Ditto with infused spirits. The flavors always taste brighter, than when heat plays a part in the process. Even mild heat "cooks" and alters the molecules / flavor profile of the medium. I can always taste the difference.

Audrey

I've mostly experimented with flavored syrups as components of non-alcoholic cocktails, so I probably use them a little differently than most. In my jalapeno-mint syrup, for example, I'm not sure that a real, fresh mint flavor is what I want. But it would be interesting to try it with a cold infusion of mint into the jalapeno syrup to see.

The only time I made ginger syrup (aside from the ginger-mint experiment), it was actually a by-product of making crystalized ginger slices, in which the ginger was steeped in hot syrup several times (it was time consuming, complicated and not something I'll repeat). I liked the taste of the syrup -- it didn't have that fresh "zing," but it was good on its own terms.

Yeah, I could see the crystalized ginger being good because it already has

a different flavor profile than fresh ginger---like a liquid version of those wonderful,

chewy ginger candies---Reed's, etc.

I'd be curious about cold-fusing the jalapeno, as well....how do you prepare it?

Sounds delish; a perfect compliment to mint.

Audrey

What about non-herbal flavored syrups? I'm thinking of something like raspberry syrup or almond syrup, for orzata.  Any ideas how to make those? This is probably a very stupid question, but I honestly have no idea how to go about it.

Consider it is like making jelly, simply without the pectin to make it jell.

I have been using a Mehu-Liisa juicer/steamer for several years (made in Finland). It is much easier and takes less work than the convential method. In particular it takes 80% of the work and the mess out of making pomegranate, blueberry, raspberry, etc., juice/syrup. Anything with tiny seeds... I also use it for steam extracting flavor from herbs, edible flowers, etc. (roses)

The process is by steam extraction.

http://juicer-steamer.com/

I have never used it for anything but juice

I have the 10-Ltr. juicer but the 8-Ltr. will probably be large enough for most.

I have a very large garden and fruit trees and process a lot of it into juices and jellies, which is why I have the larger one.

http://www.ezjuicers.com/mehuliisa.htm

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

What are the advantages of using infused simple syrup as opposed to using infused alcohol? For example, how would these two drinks taste different:

2.0 oz : white rum

1.0 oz : lime juice

0.5 oz : mint-infused simple syrup

2.0 oz : mint-infused white rum

1.0 oz : lime juice

0.5 oz : simple syrup

Obviously, in a bar situation it makes sense to just do they syrup, because you're not tying up an entire bottle of booze with the infusion. I'm just wondering whether there are any flavor differences.

--

I'd be curious about cold-fusing the jalapeno, as well....how do you prepare it?

Sounds delish; a perfect compliment to mint.

Audrey

I've never tried cold-infusing the jalapenos. I got the idea for the syrup from a recipe for a granita, and it called for steeping both the mint and the jalapenos, so that's what I've always done. Again, I'm not sure I'd want a huge hit of green jalapeno heat in the syrup -- this way, it's actually pretty subtle. In fact, when I use the syrup in the Fire and Ice Margaritas, it's sort of difficult to identify either the mint or the jalapeno in the flavor profile, at least at first.

I have found, though, that for the original non-alcoholic drink I created it for -- the Twisted Mojito -- I like to muddle some fresh mint in addition to using the syrup, since the mint is such a crucial element. So that's where I think a cold infusion of mint might be a good idea. Or I could just continue to muddle.

Kinsey brings up a good point.

There are flavor compounds that are more soluble in alcohol than in water and vice versa and therefore you will have some taste differences.

Also, regarding cold infusion vs. hot infusion syrups, the flavor nuances do differ significantly and I tend to do a combination.

Background:

Beer brewers have long known that WHEN hops are added, influences how Hoppiness is expressed nearly as much as how MUCH hops are used. Early in the boil, bitterness is extracted (a good thing) but to have that floral, hoppy aroma, hops are added later, or even after the wort comes off the heat.

Sauciers do the same thing with herbs: Add early to get the "consequence" of the herb, add at the last minute to get the ethereal, bouquet/aromas, "brightness" .

When it comes to syrups, I have my idiosyncracies. For straight simple syrple, I measure the sugar into a bowl, measure the water into a pot and bring the pot to a boil. The boiled water goes over the sugar, whisked and we're all done. (Weird, I know, but it keeps the kitchen happy)

But this has led to the possibility of a "Double infusion" technique.

I'll toss some of my chosen flavoring--ie. Mint, or Ginger, or Basil, or Cinnamon--into the water and bring it to a boil and hold it there for a few minutes so I'm making a sort of a tea. Once that goes over the sugar, I might add more of the ingredient and let that infuse off heat.

I like to keep my syrups "simple": one flavor. I can add mint syrup and Ginger syrup together, but I can't take the mint out of Mint/Ginger syrup. (Which is not to say that I dont sometimes--or often--toss some lemon zest into the Ginger mix, but it's definitely not Ginger/Lemon syrup)

I've also come to rely on flavored syrups more than infused liquors because you can't alter just the taste of a cocktail with infused booze, you also increase its proof and "heat" from the alcohol. Besides, I can flavor my never-further-than-arm's-reach Iced Teas with 'em when I'm working.

Kinsey brings up a good point.

There are flavor compounds that are more soluble in alcohol than in water and vice versa and therefore you will have some taste differences.

Also, regarding cold infusion vs. hot infusion syrups, the flavor nuances do differ significantly and I tend to do a combination.

To be precise, water will dissolve some flavor agents, and alcohol will dissolve all of those (because of its water content) plus others that are not soluble in water. Juniper, for example, will not flavor a simple syrup, not matter what you do. It has to be infused into alcohol.

You make some interesting points. I hadn't thought about double infusions, but of course it makes sense, especially with herbs.

Somehow it strikes me that when presented with a single infusion (hot or cold) and a flavoured syrup versus an infused spirit, the subtleties are quite refined and perhaps most will not really decipher it in the end result of a mixed cocktail/drink. Of course that depends -- on the individual, perception abilities, palate, preferences and the type of drink you are planning to mix up. :rolleyes:

For home mixing, I may experiment to see what preference I have, however at work I doubt that any of management and/or in the kitchen would support or afford me the time, space and product to conduct such. :biggrin:

As far as a two flavoured syrup, I think I've done fairly well with a lemongrass-ginger concoction.... The ginger isn't bright, but it definately contributes beyond what I'd label as solely a lemongrass gomme/syrup.

I'd place this up there along with the best white cake, banana cake or brownie recipe -- things I really want to examine in better depth, but unfortunately at the mo' time is at a premium. However it is on a written list that is stuck via a Korbel sparkling wine magnet (I thought it was pretty cool when I got it a couple of years ago) to my refrigerator.

Like lemon, we use vodka in cooking (a la penne) to 'push forward' flavors.

Sugar, on the other hand, supresses the characteristics of the medium.

Sam, I'd be very interested in the results of your side-by-side mojito infusion

...and while you're at it, how about trying one recipe with mint syrup,

and another with mint muddled directly in... instead of mint-infused rum---

The thing about infusing herbs in spirits is that they infuse very, very quickly

(a matter of an hour or so), so it's very easy to over-do.

I think that when presented with the test side by side, the differences are clearly apparent,

whether your palate is trained or not. So if we have the ability to build a better mousetrap,

then why not? Especially with such basics.

A friend prepared a drink of mine at his bar, and (although I mentioned nothing),

I immediately noticed that it was very, very off. I asked him how he prepared it,

and he said that he had used mint syrup instead of fresh mint. You could detect

the mild decompostition of it's vegetal qualities.

Audrey

See, mint is one of those funny things that I firmly believe in only fresh. Mint syrup = yuk. While I do know of gals that prefer their Mojitos a wee bit sweeter for thier own tastes, I still traditionally only use the granulated sugar, lime and mint -- but add in a dribble of simple syrup will usually does the trick, however not my preference. :wink:

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for figuring out what will build the better mousetrap. :smile: