• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masa Review

rich

Now, now, now. If any of US were leaving a temporary post as NYT restaurant critic would WE eat at Masa as our last meal....

Hm, actually, no.

Even seated at the hinoki bar with Masa preparing everything, I've heard too often that the rice is better at Yasuda, the fish is the same or better at Yasuda, there aren't enough cooked dishes, it's mainly sushi, and that Masa is only playing at half his game since three years ago.

At Ginza the sushi was unlimited.

And followed courses like:

-marinated, cooked eel liver

-Tuna Tartare with Beluga Caviar and toast points

-Blowfish 3 ways -sashimi, steamed and baked

-She crab with roe and tomalley

-Seared Toro

-Toro Shabu Shabu

-Broiled Miso Marinated Cod with Cod Sperm and Lily Root

-a whole white truffle which had been cut into three pieces dipped in tempura and fried

At Masa they tell you, "You're done now."

So, sadly, no.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM