• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Summer Crop

Rich Pawlak

This summer I am determined to explore the wealth of both summer beers and summer-friendly beers. So far, I've been grooving on:

Flying Fish Farmhouse, Cherry Hill, NJ, crisp, bursting with hop and herb notes.

Sly Fox IPA Series, Phoenixville, PA, being made with 9 different hop varities; so far the Kent Goldings, Styrian and Cascade varietals have been spectacularly puckery and floral.

Pilsner Urquell , Czech Republic, has been popping up all over Philly (and is on tap everywhere in Miami Beach), and on tap you realize what a truly great, tangy beer it is.

I'll be on the hunt all summer. Suggestions?

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My usual summertime preference is for wheat beers, usually hefeweizen, but a good American wheat, like Boulevard, also works! I also REALLY like New Belgium's Blue Paddle Pils! And Bell's Two Hearted, and a crisply sour lambic, and an American-style Barleywine with a cigar on the patio in the evening, and, well, heck, just about anything cool and tasty while I'm cooking at the grill! I guess I'm pretty easy when it comes to beer, but you already knew that, RP! :smile:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

I usually go for Witbier too. The Hitachino is good. All the Belgian ones are good and there are a lot of great ones being made here in the USA -Ommegang have just added one to their line-up of Belgian beers. Good stuff.

I also like a Saison, like Fantome or Dupont, but I find most of the USA versions tend to be a little off base (more like triples or spiced strong ales) and not as good as a Summer quencher.

When the weather first warms I usually seek out a Kolsch (can't figure out how to type an umlaut). Refined and light while still having a nice malt flavor. Refreshing.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I usually go for Witbier too. The Hitachino is good. All the Belgian ones are good and there are a lot of great ones being made here in the USA -Ommegang have just added one to their line-up of Belgian beers. Good stuff.

I also like a Saison, like Fantome or Dupont, but I find most of the USA versions tend to be a little off base (more like triples or spiced strong ales) and not as good as a Summer quencher.

I forgot to add another terrific Philly microbrew, Yards Saison, Yards Brewing Co., Philadelphia, a delightful citrusy quencher that also makes a great mimosa.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Who makes the sour ale for Monks, Rich? Do you know? That stuff is great in the summer--its sourness is really refreshing, and goes great with food as well. In the same way I like berlinerweisse in summer, but only if people go really light on the woodruff syrup--I like the sour.

Who makes the sour ale for Monks, Rich?  Do you know?  That stuff is great in the summer--its sourness is really refreshing, and goes great with food as well.  In the same way I like berlinerweisse in summer, but only if people go really light on the woodruff syrup--I like the sour.

The flemish red ale?

It is from brewery van steenberg I believe:

here's a link to the beer on ratebeer.com

Unfortunately I think you can only get it from Monks although the beer of the month club was supposed to be getting it at some point.

I love the sour too! For similar sour reds there's always Rodenbach or (if you live near to Fort Collins) the New Belgium version "La folie". Duchess du Bourgogne is another.

I like a good sour Gueuze in the summer too, and fruit lambics as long as they aren't overly sweet - Cantillon make the best in my opinion.

Next time I'm in Phillie I must get some Yards Saison. That one is going to the top of my "to drink" list. I've not seen it here in the DC area.

I like Gueuze in the summer too! I have a closet full of Lindeman's Cuvee Rene, 1996 vintage. Very refreshing on warm evenings out on the patio!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

The flemish red ale?

It is from brewery van steenberg I believe:

here's a link to the beer on ratebeer.com

Unfortunately I think you can only get it from Monks although the beer of the month club was supposed to be getting it at some point.

I love the sour too! For similar sour reds there's always Rodenbach or (if you live near to Fort Collins) the New Belgium version "La folie". Duchess du Bourgogne is another.

Thanks for the info on the others, theakston. I think I'll have some this very afternoon.

Who makes the sour ale for Monks, Rich?  Do you know?  That stuff is great in the summer--its sourness is really refreshing, and goes great with food as well.  In the same way I like berlinerweisse in summer, but only if people go really light on the woodruff syrup--I like the sour.

You know, last Friday in our online beer chat(the No Bull Inn, on starchat.net), I drank my last Monk's Sour, so I dont have the bottle for reference.

You may be able to get more info from the Monk's website, www.monkscafe.com, but in the past, I've only seen reference to the fact that it is brewed for Monk's in Belgium. I agree, it's a great beer, but I veer toward crisper stuff for summertime.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Currently occupying my firdge are the FF Farmhouse, Troeg's Sunshine Pils and one Blue Paddle.

I may go on a wit hunt (pun intended) this weekend. Wits and pilsners are perfect summer beers.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

I must add Troeg's Sunshine Pils to the Summer List---damn, what a bright, lively, sharp quencher, a great beer with Sechuan Chinese food and grilled shrimp! And grilled pork loin!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large