• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curlz and Rich Pawlak in Star Ledger

Rosie

Thanks for the plug, Rosie! And congrats, Rich...

:cool:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Sadly, I don't know how to make it 'pretty'...here it is! Pics aren't on line.

http://www.nj.com/living/ledger/index.ssf?...15787454770.xml

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

BIGTIME congrats to both! What time is dinner served?

That's so weird though, that is that an egluttoneer and eglutonette appear in the article. How did you guys get chosen?

I guess the other NJ media star isn't on line yet! :laugh: I've spent a good chunk of the day fielding questions via email and by phone, so here's MY story of how I came to have my 15 seconds:

I got an email via eG from a woman who was writing a story about Sunday dinner for the Star Ledger. She had read a post I made on an eG thread, but I couldn't be sure of which one--it was either in Sunday dinner--do you still make it or in If you're single, do you still really cook? Either way, my answer was likely a lengthy "hell yeah!" b/c I tend to cook on Sundays so there's food in the house for the coming week. The writer asked if I would be willing to be interviewed, I said yes, and at the end of the interview, she wanted to know if I would let a photographer come to the house to take pics of me cooking and serving the dishes. The only requirement was that I had to give her the recipes I was making so they could be published alongside the article. I never expected to be credited for the recipes, esp since one is from Nigella Lawson, but I guess they have to publish them with me sharing the credit to avoid any copyright issues. Regardless, my friends were amused (according to them, it's just another one of those things that only I could get them in to...) and I had a really fun day because of it! I just never expected that the article and pics would be so, er, prominently placed!! :raz:

Nice!! I hope someone can scan and post photos, or somehow get them online. Congrats to you both.

My husband and I have had the great pleasure of being served such a dinner at the Pawlak home. The food, and the company, was as wonderful as described.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

That was a just a terrific article! And how nice that they found you though egullet!

Curlz, I really liked the fact that you were able to bring out--that a "family" doesn't have to be what we traditionally think of for these types of events. Very "Sex and the City" ish! (my favorite part of that show was always the sisterly interaction between those four women). Food really can serve to bring all kinds of groups of people together....

By the way, I'm also in higher education--I'm assistant dean of the Graduate School at Montclair State!

Casey

My only complaint is that Curlz was not wearing an eGullet t-shirt. :biggrin:

Well, if I had one... :biggrin: Is this your way of telling me to hit the eG store, Rosie? Heehee

And fwiw, the only somewhat incorrect info about me in that article was the fact that I work for RUTGERS. All that publicity, but no mention of RU has my co-workers busting me quite a bit!! Casey, I look forward to sharing higher ed stories! :biggrin:

I guess the other NJ media star isn't on line yet! :laugh: I've spent a good chunk of the day fielding questions via email and by phone, so here's MY story of how I came to have my 15 seconds:

I got an email via eG from a woman who was writing a story about Sunday dinner for the Star Ledger. She had read a post I made on an eG thread, but I couldn't be sure of which one--it was either in Sunday dinner--do you still make it or in If you're single, do you still really cook? Either way, my answer was likely a lengthy "hell yeah!" b/c I tend to cook on Sundays so there's food in the house for the coming week. The writer asked if I would be willing to be interviewed, I said yes, and at the end of the interview, she wanted to know if I would let a photographer come to the house to take pics of me cooking and serving the dishes. The only requirement was that I had to give her the recipes I was making so they could be published alongside the article. I never expected to be credited for the recipes, esp since one is from Nigella Lawson, but I guess they have to publish them with me sharing the credit to avoid any copyright issues. Regardless, my friends were amused (according to them, it's just another one of those things that only I could get them in to...) and I had a really fun day because of it! I just never expected that the article and pics would be so, er, prominently placed!! :raz:

My story is similar to Curlz: an e-mail, followed by some phone tag, and , eventually, a long afternoon chat about my Sunday dinner memories. And about once a month, I strive for a good, earthy, loud Sunday dinner of pasta, meatballs, sausage, salad and fruit and nuts.

The only deviation from the Italian flavor of the dinner occured during the dinner of which Susan in FL made mention; she and Russ brought ramekins of creme brulee for dessert, and we served them with, shockingly, Ommegang Brown Ale for dessert, a terrific pairing. Man, that was a great Sunday dinner.....

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

The reporter has told me that she's also working on an article on eGullet and food forums in general...I'll let you know when it's supposed to run once she finds out! I figure she's helping spread the word. Or is it the gospel...??? :laugh: